• Register Today It's free!

My X got onboard air

91xploder

Reaction score
City, State
manahawkin nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I have been wanting to get an onboard air system to inflate tires and run air tools for a while. this weekend i decided to make one for myself since im cheap and crazy. i used my stock a/c pump and converted it, much easier to do than you think and it works great. i dont have a tank on it at this point and i still have enough direct air pressure to run an impact gun and inflate my 31x10.5's in about 45 seconds from 10 to 35 psi. i would post some pictures but im not elite and i dont know if i still can. if you guys are interested i could do like a step by step thing on how to change it over and if it takes of i'd be willing to put together a fitting kit to sell off here so it would be like a direct bolt in type deal no searching for parts. anyone intereste? and can i post pics if im not elite?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A step by step instruction would be great for anybody. You can post pics without being elite only if you have a server somewhere to host the pics on. There are companies out there to do so, I just don't know who is the best.

When you convert the a/c pump, does it disable the a/c?

Originally posted by Gonzo
When you convert the a/c pump, does it disable the a/c?

Yes.

For this to work you are going to lose your a/c. But its a small price to pay since mine didnt work anyway

LOL, I couldn't live without AC, how about you Alec? It just get's too hot around here for that.

you could live without a/c....be a man about this.....lol i guess you could mount a secondary air pump but that would take alot of the simplicity out of my design for this thing.

E mail me pics and I will get them hosted. I would also like to see thew write up. Quite concerned with how you oil the compressor now.
email to
racerx@navpoint.com

I'm interested in seeing this also....btt

Ok i'll get some pics snaped today and i'll do alittle writeup thing on it to make it easy for everyone. for this to work your going to have to be comfortable cuting parts of your a/c system up so be ready to hack

The best way is to convert over to a york AC setup(with internal oil res). I'm working on this right now, trying to figure out how to get everything set up under the hood.

yes the york has internal oil but does it come mounted on your explorer from the factory? and does it come with brackets that mount it perfectly? no......but your stock a/c pump does and you can easily feed it with an inline air tool oiler to solve your oiling problems..... pics to come soon.

Back