Oops! Wrapped Ipod Around Steering Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oops! Wrapped Ipod Around Steering Wheel

Rick5150

Reaction score
City, State
Londonderry, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
This is 1 part Oops, one part HELP.

My son plugged his ipod into the stereo and decided he wanted to have the ipod itself mounted to the center of the steering wheel becaues he thought it would be safer and he can keep his eyes on the road easier. He attached it with velcro and the first turn he took wrapped the wire tightly into the steering wheel. Some irony here in that he was lucky he did not kill himself trying to be "safe" as he could not steer completely. When he pulled over and pulled the ipod wire out, the air bag light was on and the horn no longer worked.

I was able to help him get it all apart, but what I found was a ribbon wire that was sticking out of a white spool behind the steering wheel.

You can see the white spool. I have no idea what it is called.

98Explorer.jpg

Here is a photo of the ribbon wire:

98Explorer1.jpg

What is the white piece called, and what would be involved in fixing it? I was thinking about going to a local salvage yard armed with my tools and a steering wheel puller. If it is cheap enough, I may try to find a new one.

Any advice and/or help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the clockspring. Going with a new one would be better.

This is 1 part Oops, one part HELP.

My son plugged his ipod into the stereo and decided he wanted to have the ipod itself mounted to the center of the steering wheel becaues he thought it would be safer and he can keep his eyes on the road easier. He attached it with velcro and the first turn he took wrapped the wire tightly into the steering wheel. Some irony here in that he was lucky he did not kill himself trying to be "safe" as he could not steer completely. When he pulled over and pulled the ipod wire out, the air bag light was on and the horn no longer worked.

I was able to help him get it all apart, but what I found was a ribbon wire that was sticking out of a white spool behind the steering wheel.

You can see the white spool. I have no idea what it is called.

98Explorer.jpg

Here is a photo of the ribbon wire:

98Explorer1.jpg

What is the white piece called, and what would be involved in fixing it? I was thinking about going to a local salvage yard armed with my tools and a steering wheel puller. If it is cheap enough, I may try to find a new one.

Any advice and/or help would be appreciated!

Junkyard would be a bad idea, it would be very difficult to install properly. I would strongly recomend a new one.
When you purchase a new one, it will have a piece of tape that holds it together/stationary. When you are ready to install, first loosen the nut holding the wheel on. Then and the most important part. Make sure the wheels are pointed STRAIGHT ahead! You will then remove the nut, and use a puller to remove the wheel. Remove the old clockspring and then carefully install the new clockspring.

If you do not have the wheel straight, or the clocksping it not in the midddle of it's travel, it will be damaged, and you will then need to purchase another one.

Do not be intimidated by this, replacing the clockspring is easy, but you must follow the steps to get the new one centered.

Thank you for the information. I am not sure how much it will cost, but if I were to get one at a junkyard, would there be a good chance that it would be okay if the steering wheel is centered. This is for my son and he cannot afford a large expense, and I am currrently out of work, so the same applies to me.:(

Well if I was the one to pull it out of the car, chances are it would be bad! LOL. But I understand your situation. I would recomend taking a sharpie and tape. Center the wheel, mark the position with a sharpie, and then put tape to hold it in place as soon as possible. Very important to keep the clockspring centered.

A new one runs about $97 thru FastPartsNetwork.com I wouldn't try a used one at a junk yard unless you had a guarantee on it working. The last thing you wanna do is pay for a used one and it doesn't work.

ANd I wouldn't advise putting anything on the center of the steering wheel. If there is a collision, that ipod could become a dangerous missile when the airbag deploys! :D

Back