• Register Today It's free!

open diff

arch stanton

Reaction score
City, State
hollady utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
what are the advantages of a open dif? are they good in snow or what are they best traction wise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the only one I can think of offhand is that when cornering it allows the wheels to easily turn at different rates...but I'd rather have a LS or locker anyday....

Good on Ice if anything could be. I just know the last couple of times we had ice and I drove my X on the road when I had open diffs it seem to actually move forward slowly but surely, then I locked up my front end and rear end (before my sas) and afterwards the next ice up we had when I hit the gas it just starts walking sideways, unlocking one of the front hubs helped in the situation. Other then that I don't know of when else it really came in handy to not be locked up:confused:

I know that some rear ends came from the factory with an optional rear locker, how do i figure out of mine did?

some did come with a rear limited slip. search this forum for "diff codes." you can read the code on your manufacturer's sticker to determine if you've got LSD.

an open diff has no advantage except lower cost.

Back