• Register Today It's free!

Sport trac 8.8 Open diff

j-n-v

Reaction score
City, State
Grande Prairie
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey I was wondering if I did my reading correct the sport trac I have uses an 8.8 with 4.10 gears with an open diff and 31 spline axles so I was wondering if by chance there was specific rangers or other models I should keep my eyes open for in the wrecking yard to try and find a posi center section from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not all are 4.10 axle ratio. Some are 3.73s. You would need to look at your axle tag or the door sticker with your VIN on it. As vroomzoomboom said, those vehicles often had a LSD, but again, you will need to make sure that the axle ratios match up to what you have if you are 4wd. If you're 2wd, then it doesn't matter.

On another note, it would probably be more cost effective to swap the entire axle as opposed to just the internals if you currently have drum brakes and you find an axle with discs. Not sure how easy it is to swap the LSD components into an open diff.

Not sure how easy it is to swap the LSD components into an open diff.

my sport came with a open diff and 4.10's. i had a v8 truck i bought for parts and luckily it had a limited slip. the one thing i would say to do if you are just swapping the center section out is to put new disks in it.
now the parts truck had 3.73's in it, and i thought i would have to re shim my diff (i didnt put it in, i had a friend do it because he could do it faster then me, but i was there helping). to my surprise, all we had to do was make sure the shims all went back in on the same sides they came out of and that was it (that was also after putting new bearings and seals in). basically you side the open one out, and the LSD in (as long as you are reusing your gears) and thats it. i wouldnt have believed it if i wasnt there to see it.

yeh I know how to swap them but wasn't sure were to find one so v8 explorers and level 2 rangers? what is the level 2 ranger and how do I tell, and im actually ok with the drums I just want a quick simple swap to get better driveability

Most V-8 explores but not all of them if I am not wrong . If you're lucky and the drivers door is still on it and has the factory tag it will tell you I just cannot remember the code for it . Something tells me DS . A level 2 Ranger was like a off-road package as an option they had 410 gearing Alcoa rims 31 spline rear axles some have leather seats depending on the year some had manual transfer cases. Level two was also either written on the box side or the doors. They also sad and inch higher then a regular 4 x 4 Ranger

Hey I was wondering if I did my reading correct the sport trac I have uses an 8.8 with 4.10 gears with an open diff and 31 spline axles so I was wondering if by chance there was specific rangers or other models I should keep my eyes open for in the wrecking yard to try and find a posi center section from?

You don't want a ranger diff. 28 spline axles (weaker) but Explorer rear axles '95-'01 work. I installed an '00 Explorer 4:10 in my '01 Sport Trac. Other than the brake parts (disk vs drum) they were identical.

My son's '97 Mountaineer is a V8 with 3.73 LS. Also 2WD if that matters.

Lots of explorers have a limited slip, V8 and V6. Check the axle tag, it'll say LS or not.

You can also buy a new limited slip, or locker. If you go that route, remember you need one for a ford 8.8 with 31 spline axles.

Most members here would prefer the open 410 diff, to facilitate installing an automatic locker. Are you positive this will not work for you? It would be the easiest and least expensive route.

by automatic locker are u meaning the same thing as a clutch style posi cause that's what I was thinking to find in a wrecking yard and install. just don't want to buy a whole new center section if I can scab one.

by automatic locker are u meaning the same thing as a clutch style posi cause that's what I was thinking to find in a wrecking yard and install. just don't want to buy a whole new center section if I can scab one.

No.
I was referring to an actual locker, such as an
Aussie XD-48831

Or
spartan
http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-SLF8-8-31-Spartan-Locker-31-Spline/dp/B007PJ92SU

a liimited slip unit will still allow some slip. ;)
For a limited slip diff you will need to change the carrier. The above lockers will install right in your open carrier.
For this reason I am looking for an open 410 rear carrier.

Back