• Register Today It's free!

Opinions please ! 2015 base

ddjohn02

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Base
Good morning all. I currently have a15 base with 64K on it. I purchased in 17 with 19K and have meticulously maintained, I have upgraded quite a bit on it and already ponied up $2500 for the defective steering rack on these. My dilemma is its paid for in 2 months - do i trade it and run or try to get a few years with no payments. My main concern is the transmission - had it flashed once and its due again. Is the flash trick going to work again and how long do I realistically have before I am looking at another major repair ? My wife is afraid to go on vacation with it ! sucks to rent a SUV when I have a relatively new one in the drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flashing a transmission is a band aid fix, usually. It tries to avoid something the transmission doesn’t handle well.

If it’s been flashed before and is now acting up again, I don’t see how it’s gonna be fixed by reloading a new program.

Good morning all. I currently have a15 base with 64K on it. I purchased in 17 with 19K and have meticulously maintained, I have upgraded quite a bit on it and already ponied up $2500 for the defective steering rack on these. My dilemma is its paid for in 2 months - do i trade it and run or try to get a few years with no payments. My main concern is the transmission - had it flashed once and its due again. Is the flash trick going to work again and how long do I realistically have before I am looking at another major repair ? My wife is afraid to go on vacation with it ! sucks to rent a SUV when I have a relatively new one in the drive.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have the Base trim or the XLT? Your post mentioned Base but your profile shows XLT.
If you have the 3.5L V6, then the internal water pump could be an issue. If you have the 2.3L engine then the water pump is external.
Your "relatively new one" is 8 years old. ;)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have the Base trim or the XLT? Your post mentioned Base but your profile shows XLT.
If you have the 3.5L V6, then the internal water pump could be an issue. If you have the 2.3L engine then the water pump is external.
Your "relatively new one" is 8 years old. ;)

Peter
My profile is probably showing my previous XLT . It’s a 3.5 and I have been reading up on the water pump . It’s now my sons problem. I am upgrading to a 2020. Thank you for the input !

If you aren't in the rust belt you should get another 20 years out of that vehicle with the miles you put on, I have the same thing but an XLT. This is a pretty bullet proof unit when taken care of, I'm up to 130k on mine and rust will take care of it before anything else at this rate. There were right around 1.6 million of this model made and you only hear of a few that had the water pump or trans or ptu failure.....it seems now the newer the vehicle the higher the failure rate with all the changes they keep chasing to meet the emissions regulations. The first year of a new model would not be my choice for a replacement.....good luck with everything.

I think the chance of getting one of these to 200k without a major repair is pretty slim.

I don't think it will have an issue getting to 200k. Even if it does need a repair it is at a lower frequency than the newer vehicles if you go by the forums, not enough time on new vehicles to tell for sure.....and the cost of the "major" repair is less than %10 the cost of a new vehicle. The math doesn't add up to me, I prefer less down time and lower cost but I will be forced into something around 25-26 when we get a new driver in the house.

Back