• Register Today It's free!

Optima Batteries

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I am a new owner of a 2013 XSport. I traded in my 2010 Flex Ecoboost. The Flex did not allow a yellow top to be installed without some annoying modification (nor did it allow for an easy soundsystem upgrade).
Does anyone know if I can drop a yellow top into the XSport without mod?

I plan on a Livernois tune and a 500watt soundsystem upgrade (12" JL DVC sub and Image Dynamics components

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a new owner of a 2013 XSport. I traded in my 2010 Flex Ecoboost. The Flex did not allow a yellow top to be installed without some annoying modification (nor did it allow for an easy soundsystem upgrade).
Does anyone know if I can drop a yellow top into the XSport without mod?

I plan on a Livernois tune and a 500watt soundsystem upgrade (12" JL DVC sub and Image Dynamics components

xs power batteries are great. i have a 2013 explorer and i have 2 15s on 8000 watts going in there. i have 4 shuriken 140 amp hour batteries in the back and one xs d3400 under the hood which works great and would work great for what you have. they make awesome batteries

Sorry I missed this thread, I put an Optima Yellowtop 34/78DT in my 2013 Sport w/ no fitment issues, you may need to use the included bracket to sit the battery on to lift it an inch, the cables will be easier to get on and off, but I put it on the stock tray w/out any problem.

Sorry I missed this thread, I put an Optima Yellowtop 34/78DT in my 2013 Sport w/ no fitment issues, you may need to use the included bracket to sit the battery on to lift it an inch, the cables will be easier to get on and off, but I put it on the stock tray w/out any problem.

Excellent! Thanks for the info

I love the Optima batteries, so far have purchased 4 of them, 2 of them currently in use. The other 2 I have had them work for over 13years, and still passable.
My 2014 Explorer has one of those cheaper interstate batteries and keeps discharging faster than Id want it to.
My question is, which Optima battery will fit inside the Explorer? Optima site doesnt list any compatible battery. So if we are to make it work I believe we need to make some modification. Have any of you attempted that?

Optima isn’t what it used to be. Better off going with any higher end battery.

I have recently bought 2 brand new Optima batteries and they both are working flawlessly on 2 of my vehicles (Honda Accord and Odyssey). One is a red top and the other is the Yellow top.

Well yeah, they are brand new. ANY brand new battery will work flawlessly.

Well yeah, they are brand new. ANY brand new battery will work flawlessly.
A couple of weeks ago a neighbor needed a new battery. Their AC Delco battery was only a year old but couldn't hold a charge. I went to Autozone with them to get a Duralast platinum series battery which is supposed to be their top of the line series. I put my tester on it before I installed it, and it was defective. I went back to Autozone, and they had the same results with their tester. They only had 2 in stock so the second one was tested in their store on request, and it showed that it was okay (sort of). The store's tester said that it was only at 91% capacity. My tester said 50%. I put it on a charger, and it said that it needed a charge. I installed it in the neighbor's vehicle, and let the engine run for a few minutes, then checked it, and it was charged. Either their batteries are sitting for a long period of time on their shelves without being fully charged or the quality has gone down.

Discharging faster than what you'd want it to....what does that even mean? Are you talking voltage readings at different times when the car is sitting? Or is it getting harder to start after sitting for the same amount of time?
Any new battery I get from here on out will be AGM, both the BMW and our Armada have one.

I’d assume it’s discharging at rest faster than it should since these trucks are stupidly hard on batteries mostly due to garbage engineering.

I have recently bought 2 brand new Optima batteries and they both are working flawlessly on 2 of my vehicles (Honda Accord and Odyssey). One is a red top and the other is the Yellow top.
The optima redtop just failed on my Honda Accord.. after less than 1year of use

The optima redtop just failed on my Honda Accord.. after less than 1year of use
ive liked my optimas so far! both of em have outlasted everythi else ive had, maybe you got a bad one? imo best bang for bux is that costco interstate battery!

Back