Options to replace Catalytic Converters on 2002 XLS 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Options to replace Catalytic Converters on 2002 XLS 4.0

lunacy43

Reaction score
My front catalytic converter recently crumbled and the others with it, leaving me on the side of I-75 waiting on a tow truck a couple of weeks back.

Due to financial concerns, I couldn't replace immediately. My cousin came by and cut a hole in each cat and we gutted them. Truck is running now, but smells like a lawn mower and has choppy acceleration. Check engine light has been on ever since.

I'm going out later today and/or tomorrow to shop around for new cats.

What is my cheapest option to get back on the road and stop tearing a hole in the ozone.

I've seen the direct-fit parts with all 3 cats and pipes from Eastern Catalytic, but hell, that's 600+ bucks online, god only knows what my local shop would charge for that.

Can I just have a shop cut out my old shells and weld in 3 of the $70 universal cats and get the same effect? Would my 02 sensors work with these?

I apologize, I'm a complete moron when it comes to this stuff. I don't live in an emissions check state, but I want to do the right thing here, but money is really tight and need to get by with as little as possible.

Can I just have a shop cut out my old shells and weld in 3 of the $70 universal cats and get the same effect? Would my 02 sensors work with these?

Yes and yes

Back