• Register Today It's free!

Options w/ 31" spare

Asugolf14

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I was just wondering what my options were for a 31" spare. I don't think it can fit in the stock location, so I was gonna see what you guys would suggest. I can have a friend of mine fab me a rear tire carrier for under $40 probably, but I have heard there are some downfalls to having those. I have also seen that a lot of people use the safari racks for their spares, but there are downfalls to that too, such as price and the location of it. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll Fit !!

It'll fit in the stock location - - you just may have to wedge it in there a bit...

Some 31s are "bigger" than others, but most guys who have 31s as their spare can get them tucked into the original stock location.

Paul

Oh really??? Well, that is good. That saves me a lot of time and $$-Thanks a lot!!

31" spare

Just to confirm what Paul Sabin said: I carry a spare 31" BGF All Terrrain as a spare in the stock location. on my '93 XLT. I did have to relocate my exhaust pipe just a tad with a prybar so it wasn't in direct contact with the tire (hated that nasty burning rubber odor). I have a custom exhaust that isn't exactly in the stock location , but pretty close, and it uses the stock hangers. You may want to discuss this with your shop when you go to get the new exhaust. I run 33's, and there's no way a 33 will fit under the truck, so if I get a rear flat, then I gotta move a front tire back, and put the 31" spare on front, and run 2X, on pavement (but I wouldn't run 4x on pavement, anyway). ;)

Also it depends on if you have a Trailer Hitch Reciever, and then what type of hitch you have.

Yeah, I don't have a tow hitch, so I think it should fit. Thanks for all the info!!

I was just thinking, I was gonna get a light bar for my X, but maybe I should just get a safari rack instead. I could mount lights to it, put my spare on it, and that would make it easier for dual exhaust in the future. But I was wondering, if you get a safari rack, how do you lock your spare to it? Do you have to buy something, and if so, how much is it?? Thanks for the info-

Anybody fit a 31" spare under there with a round tube Hidden Hitch?

well, actually I won't answer your qustion since I have a Valley class IV hitch and my 31" spare fits in the OG location just fine. You had questions about a Safari rack and what's not. First off you have a few possibilities to mount your spare. Did you ever think about getting your wheel up on the roof? how about taking it down? accisibility wise I would (and I will) put spare tire in the back on a swing-away carrier. Also, this will be good since mounting your tire in the back will keep center of gravity lower than with your tire on the roof. I just bought a nice carrier for a Jeep Wrangler (YJ). It will fit on my stock bumper and can carry up to 33" tires. Plenty.

Safari rack? jerry can with some extra gas, shovel, high lift jack - - - stuff like that.

my opinion though,

If you put your spare up on the Safari rack, you will increase you center of gravity and, like Andre says will be a pain in the butt. How do I know? I run 33's and put my spare for the ride up to Truckhaven on top. Putting it up there wasn't real easy and taking it off was just as bad. Oh and a 31 will fit tightly down under. Wish my 33 would fit there.

Yeah, I guess I never thought about the center of gravity thing. That won't work too well then. Oh well, I guess I will just put it in the stock location for now a see what happens with exhaust. Thanks for all the info!!

Would a 265/75-16 BFG AT fit which is pretty much a 31 or no? Im also considering the hidden hitch too.

Center of gravity was the main reason why I bought the bumper carrier in the first place. I'm still thinking about modifying it so I can fit my jerry can on it as well although I wouldn't want to put too much weight there.

Carrier is like $220.00 shipped. Not too much needs to be done to put it on. One thing though, make sure you come-up with an idea for your license plate (it'll be covered by the carrier).

Lata,

Actually, if I get a carrier, I will just have a friend of mine fab one for me. I was gonna have him do that, but then I started thinking about the disadvantages of having it, such as not being able to see as well out the back window, and difficulty of getting things in the cargo area. I am probably just gonna wait and see what I am gonna do about my exhaust, and then I'll make a decision on the rear tire carrier.

Andre,

which carrier did you get? got any pics of it?

thanks

check this thread:
Dead Link Removed

you'll find all the necessary info there.

I bought mine from them (only carrier though, no bumper).
I don't have any pix yet but will post them as soon as I put my carrier on.

Thanks

Does yours mount to the bumper or a reciever hitch? Id like to see the pics and if it rattles and squeaks. $220 isnt bad.

Yeah, the price is right. It mounts to the bumper and it requires drilling like six holes so after that you can't really bring your bumper to it's OG state. After some cutting and welding you should get used to it though. I've heard good things about this set-up so far. Some guys on this list have this carrier on already. That's how I found it.

Later,

soupbone: Isn't a 265/75-16 almost 32"? If it is It definatly won't fit, tow hitch or not.

I had a 31" spare on my 92 and it hung down pretty far. I could get the front or back to go up in there but not both. I put the back (bumper) side up in and let the axle side stick down a little and you could see it real good from behind.

Another reason not to let it hang down a little:
I was in my woods one day playing around when I backed up to a small cedar log that easily cleared under my bumper. Oooops, forgot about the spare. Ended up sticking a big hole in the sidewall of my brand new never touched the road spare.

Just some words of warning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone thought of this?

get a tire carrier fabbed like the hitch bike racks. allow it to swing away to open the gate. it will hold any size tire and rim. just thought about that. maybe its been done maybe not. i am not sure

Back