Other engine oil leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Other engine oil leak.

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: After just successfully (so far) fixing a leaking engine oil filter adapter on the wife's 02 S/T with the 4.0l engine, I see that another oil leak has sprung up.

This time it is coming from the drivers side. I don't think its the valve cover as a careful examination of the "seam" between the cover ad the head doesn't show any oil.

I do see a dried brownish/tanish stain running down the area of the engine where it mates to the transmission. Its not a oil stain.

AND.... the seam between the head and block in the area of the rear cylinder also has this "stain" BUT perhaps its oil coming from whatever source and "running" along the head to block seam/joint.

I'm in the middle of replacing the thermostat housing (with the aluminum one) and currently waiting for parts.

Any ideas about this oil leak?

ptf18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you examined the PCV valve and its hose? On as '02 4.0L it's in the rear of the driver's side valve cover.

koda. Thanks. The PVC was the 1st thing I checked as I had replaced it a couple weeks ago. Found no oil coming from the area it is located in.

I perused thru many topic here on the forum this morning. I came across one from many years ago about an oil leak on the drivers side of the engine.

The reply to the OP was that if he had a coolant leak from the thermostat housing (which I do have) the coolant can flow to the rear of the engine (via the valley) then down the backside of the engine/block.

This may be what I have occurring. I have driven the S/T locally since "finding" my leak and have NOT had another "pool" of oil since the 1st one I saw.

My plan is to change out the thermostat assembly with the metal unit, wash the engine down and then see if I have "another" leak..

All in all I don't mind doing maintenance work on my vehicles. This "unexpected stuff" is no "fun" any more. Might be a age thing. When I was 16 "surprises" where part of the "experiences" of "growing up". At 64.... not so much.

And now the wife "reports" the A/C is "acting funny"....gee in Texas... its pushing 100*....

ptf18

Just a follow up. Installed the Aluminum T-stat housing from SimmonsAutoSportz. Real happy with the part. Changed out the attaching hoses and use a new T-Stat...all M/C parts.

As for the oil leak on the drivers side.... Well. Once I had the T-Stat housing off I "found" a deteriorated foam "pillow" under the intake in the valley...oil soaked. Perusing the Forum I found that most of us ditch the thing when we are working in this area. I did and then cleaned the heck out to the valley. As of now no more oil leak.

Not a bad project to do but I took my time. Got the A/C topped off and its chilling the wife just fine. I've got dye in the refrigerant but don't find a leak. WIth 220k on the S/T I'm wonder what external component will be next to fail. I geuss fly it and watch it.

ptf18

Back