• Register Today It's free!

outer diameter of rear rotors?

thammel

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I replaced my rear rotors last week with new EBC ones. I notice now that the outer diameter of the rotors is about 1/2" away from the outer edge of the calipers. In other words, the rotors appear too small and could be at least 1/2" bigger in OD. My rough measurement is that they are 11.0" OD. What is your rear rotor OD? I have a 2002 XLS, 4WD with 4.0 liter engine. I'm concerned because the wear pattern on the rotor surface lloks too small, like I'm not getting full pad swept area.

Thanks,
Tom

RockAuto.com says stock rear rotor for '02 Explorer is 11.85" diameter. And just for fun, the stock front rotor is 12.02".

Don't trust what EBC says fits. I ran into the problem when I did he rear brakes on my '99 Cobra. The pads they say fit don't. They list the same ones as on the GT. The Cobras have vented rear disks and so the pads aren't as thick as a GT so it was impossible to put them on. And with the front ones the wheels were pitch black from brake dust after 100 miles and they squealed like crazy. I couldn't wait to get rid of them and then did Hawk pads all around on the Cobra and my Xplorer.
In my oppinion EBC is a waist of money when they put out parts that don't fit.
I would get the disks off the rear before you damage something and get the correct size.

Back