• Register Today It's free!

Outside Door Handle "Slack"

msmith65

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
When I pull the outside driver's door handle on my '93 four-door, I get about an inch of slack before the mechanism engages. The other doors don't have this.

Ya think this is something I should try to address next time I have the inner panel off? So it doesn't give up entirely some time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

msmith65 said:
When I pull the outside driver's door handle on my '93 four-door, I get about an inch of slack before the mechanism engages. The other doors don't have this.

Ya think this is something I should try to address next time I have the inner panel off? So it doesn't give up entirely some time?

All four of 'em on mine do that. Figure its just a return spring and not worth pulling the door panels for.

All 4 of mine flap in the wind :thumbdwn: very anoying.

Going to tackel this once it warms up around here . :)

You can buy replacements pretty cheap on ebay. Get one, drill the rivets out on the old one, and bolt the new one on using a short SS stove bolt and a self locking nut (the type with the nylon insert). The hardest part is getting your hands up in the door and reattaching the linkage. It's still a pretty easy fix though. Mine got worn to the point that it wouldn't open the door from the outside.

;)

Mine felt like that... right before it stopped opening from the outside.
When it gets warmer, I'll repaalce the spring. And probably more....
Karl

i have the same saggy drivers side door handle problem....when i looked in the door you can tell the springs aren't doing a thing....i too will be replacing in spring!

I pull up on the handle & I dont feel much friction. All the other door have a friction. My drivers door feels like if I pull too hard the whole handle will come off. Is this the same thing? It doesn't flap or anything. I can open the door fine.

Exact thing here on my drivers door.

It opens it but with a lot of 'slack' before engagement.....

Back