Outside Temperature in Instrument Cluster | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Outside Temperature in Instrument Cluster

climate control and outside temperature on the right display panel would be a nice feature since it doesn't appear on Android Auto.

off topic question

this is something that I have been wondering about since I upgraded from a 1993 XLT to 2017 Limited

is there a reason that Ford seems to be sticking with a mechanical speedometer and light indicators for shift positions?

I would have liked to have seen a display screen with options to select a traditional speedometer gauge or just a numerical display. I know you can have that to the left but that big dial in the middle seems to me to take up too much space.

seeing all those pictures, I thought this might be an appropriate place to ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what the type 3 cluster looks like in the 2017 Platinum.

Peter

Type 3.jpg

Aha, I do see something there now on the FORScan spreadsheet. Worth a try. Have you tried it and gotten it to work? Where does it show up?
Do you have a link to the spreadsheet? I have a 16 Sport I’m wanting to add this to.

Here is a link to the FORscan Explorer spreadsheet. FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

The outside temp is listed on the IPC Type 2 tab. I did it yesterday and it works.
I also added Climate controls to the IPC.

I have tried several times and no luck in adding the frost warning to the Type 3 IPC (Platinum). Even though I have the Platinum cluster FORSCAN has the VIN for the sport. It won’t let you override an it says. I don’t care what cluster you have this is a Explorer Sport and I win!!! If anyone has a way to trick FORScan let me know!!

I have tried several times and no luck in adding the frost warning to the Type 3 IPC (Platinum). Even though I have the Platinum cluster FORSCAN has the VIN for the sport. It won’t let you override an it says. I don’t care what cluster you have this is a Explorer Sport and I win!!! If anyone has a way to trick FORScan let me know!!

You changed the cluster in your Sport to the Platinum cluster (IPC 3)?

I added the climate setting and the outside temp to the right side IPC on my 18 Limited.

IPC type 2.

Climate added - xx*x xxxx xxzz, change * to B. IPC 720-05-01
Outside temp added - xxxx xxxx x*zz, change * to A. IPC 720-02-01

Triple D Yes. I switched to the Platinum Cluster. There is a little trimming involved but behind the speedometer and non visible. There is a Crossbar behind the cluster that needs to be trimmed off. The trimming is what is needed to allow the cluster bezel to be installed. The Cross bar is for NON Platinum models I am guessing that the Platinum instrument panel from the factory uses a different instrument panel. The NON Platinum models the panel is narrower to the cross bar is not a factor. Ex...If you had a Platinum and wanted to put a NON Platinum cluster the cross bar not being there should not be a factor. Going the other way the bar gets in the way. The cluster will fit in fine and even bolt up fine but the problem will be the Bezel will not go in totally flush. I tried Platinum Bezel, regular Bezel and finally determined that the cross bar needed to be trimmed. The Bezel will fit in the cluster but wont go in totally flush and underneath the top.

As far as the cluster itself the Platinum cluster and Non Bezel are the same electrical connection and bolts.

If you decide to do this project I would definitely recommend ordering a few extra Cluster retaining bolts. Another solid recommending is magnetic nut driver, or a dab of adhesive on either the bolt head or the nut driver. Two bolts are from the top and two bottom. The bottom ones can be the difficult ones if they slip off the nut driver there is a high probability of getting lost in the abyss of the instrument panel...…...ask me how I know.

Also I used a Dremel tool for the trimming...….Make sure it spins down totally...….I got a slight nick in the windshield side of the instrument panel I can fill it in with paint or plastic repair kit.

I added the climate setting and the outside temp to the right side IPC on my 18 Limited.

IPC type 2.

Climate added - xx*x xxxx xxzz, change * to B. IPC 720-05-01
Outside temp added - xxxx xxxx x*zz, change * to A. IPC 720-02-01

I did the Outside Temp change today and it worked. I'm a little concerned though because it was a two bit change rather than a single bit change. I changed a C to an A.

C is 1100
A is 1010

Tom

I did the Outside Temp change today and it worked. I'm a little concerned though because it was a two bit change rather than a single bit change. I changed a C to an A.

C is 1100
A is 1010

Tom

The last two numbers "zz" are checksums. They change when something in the code has changed. We never mess with those.

The last two numbers "zz" are checksums. They change when something in the code has changed. We never mess with those.

I know about the checksums. Neither of these two bit changes are part of the checksum.
xxxx xxxx x*zz
Each of the x and * and z above expand to 4 bits. The * above changed from C to A or 1100 to 1010 which is a two bit change.

Tom

Okay, when I made the change to add the temperature to the instrument control panel I used the Excel spreadsheet and the "AS BUILT format" in FORScan to make the change manually. I notice now that FORScan can make this change automatically so I undid the change I made manually and used FORScan to make the change automatically. Then I went in to see what ForScan changed.

Instead of changing the C to an A, it changed the C to an E, which is a one bit change. More like what I expected. And it works, the temperature is now in the ICP. So the spreadsheet isn't entirely correct for this one.

Tom

Here is a link to the FORscan Explorer spreadsheet. FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

The outside temp is listed on the IPC Type 2 tab. I did it yesterday and it works.
I also added Climate controls to the IPC.
That link doesn't work. Does anyone know of anywhere else to find this information?

Are you looking to do it in your 17 Sport?
Yes. I had a 2011 Limited that had the outside temp displayed in the right IP display. It also had the climate controls in the right IP display. My '17 Sport has neither, and I'd like those available int he right IP display.

Here's what I did:

4 menus right IPC, IPC 720-05-01, xx*x xxxx xxzz, changed * to B (adds climate controls)

Outside temp right IPC, IPC 720-02-01, xxxx xxxx x*zz, changed * to A

What cable are you guys using for forscan mods? I would like to have the temp in my gauge display also, besides the 8" touchscreen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's what I did:

4 menus right IPC, IPC 720-05-01, xx*x xxxx xxzz, changed * to B (adds climate controls)

Outside temp right IPC, IPC 720-02-01, xxxx xxxx x*zz, changed * to A

You don't even need to go into the codes and manually enter the numbers. The Forscan software has an easy menu for enabling/disabling many features. I used it for this particular one, and to also enable/mirror the climate controls in the right IPC. I also added buttons for the heated/cooled seats to the SYNC home screen, enabled the heated mirror button on the SYNC climate screen, disabled the double-honk, enabled Secure Idle, enabled Bambi mode, and a few other things that I can't recall at the moment. Check out this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back