Over heat? FIRST GEN All aluminum 3 row radiators! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Over heat? FIRST GEN All aluminum 3 row radiators!

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Check these out. :thumbsup:

3 ROW ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR: [Update!] Radiator Classic is back in the game and now offering Lifetime warranty! Nice.

RAD1_zps269e7415.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-w-o-E...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item43c477ceae&vxp=mtr

Just say'n. duh.:eek:

little more $$ but just a little.

My '94 came with a factory 3row,, HD cooling package. This option was apparently rare. Probably why my a4ld still works fine. 135k

But they are no longer available.

Huge news! the trans cooler portion of these radiators holds 3 quarts!:eek:
If you have the factory cooler. Keep it. if not add one.

No more transmission failure due to insufficient cooling!

Not to mention I live in phoenix, AZ and you can't get enough cooling down here. Can wheel with a/c at idle indefinitely!;)

INSTALL NOTES:

Couple of tips for ya when you install.

1. The lower hose nipple needs a trim to clear the steering box. No Biggie.

2. If you run a puller electric fan it gets a bit tight, may need to bob the water pump. Also no biggie.

3. Scrape the factory "wind" foam off the core support the new rad fits nice and tight to the support, but no contact, which is a good thing.

4. The stock fan shroud fits like a glove.:D

5. stock fan is good to go.:D

6. stock air intake tube is good to go.:D

7. Will need to buy Female adapters for the trans cooler lines. Hardware store plumbing dep. Just male pipe to female flare adapter.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look's like the ticket, I think i'll be the proud owner of one myself. Also it's not if the aluminum/plastic Radiator is gonna leak it's when... And it's also got a larger trans cooler too?

That's a nice find:chug:

What about just using the 2nd gen rad? Its much thicker. I think I even saw the same thick rad in a '95 Ranger, with the OHV, when I was shopping for the '95-'97 knuckles.

Larrydd999,

That one won't work! Look at the lower hose nipple.

First gens need the nipple angled down to clear the steering box. Even so the one with the nipple angled down is 3/4" to long and must be cut.

Also with it that high it will rub on the belt at the power steering pump.
And you won't be able to use a factory hose.

AND THAT ONE HAS NO TRANSMISSION COOLER AT ALL!!!!!!!

That one is for manual transmission.

If only we could find a 3row all aluminum manual one.I ran their one or maybe two (can't remember now) row all aluminum one for awile and it started leaking at every fin after about 3ish years.

Edit..sorry didn't click on the link..that's awesome I've been searching for one as I'm supercharged and need the extra cooling..

I've also been looking at them and intend to purchase one soon for the next time I need to change one. Here's another one, a bit less expensive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-ROW-A...ies&hash=item3a849677d1&vxp=mtr#ht_2411wt_883
I agree, the plastic/aluminum radiator is a PITA, it doesn't hold up as well as I'd expect.

Thanks, FR-425 - you saved me from a stupid mistake! I should have known that all radiators are not created equal, even though they are supposedly intended for the same vehicle.
Once again the forum shows its value.
Larry

The 2nd one is for manual trans. That's great. Though I have to wonder how the welds are. Are they hand done or machine done? Post some pics when you guys get them.

:salute:

geez.......if only I fixed my truck......this would be going in it

Sure, here's a few snaps:

Been running it for three years now.

Beats the Arizona heat into submission!

IMG_20140318_152049_zpsf7af3e17.jpg

IMG_20140318_152105_zpse50bf895.jpg

IMG_20140318_152057_zpsf5554683.jpg

IMG_20140318_152134_zpsf64779ec.jpg

101231_016.jpg

101231_017.jpg

101231_018.jpg

101231_019.jpg

101231_020.jpg

101231_021.jpg
I just bought me one it will be here soon . I will let you know how it goes . !!! THANKS I just got my new radiator & I installed it . I have a 1991 xlt with the hd cooling . I did not have to trim the bottom for clearance & the fittings supplied with the rad. worked perfect . It fits like a glove .I have attached some pics the first 2 is the before . I am very pleased with this radiator . Thanks so much for the tip !!

Cool! I guess classic is now shipping them with the fittings. Nice!

Summers come'n

Bumpidy bump!

I'm just gonna keep bump'n this, so the seller will keep them up.

Gonna need another one soon, stupid e-fan rubbed a hole or two in it!

That is awesome. $150 for a lifetime all-aluminum radiator. Can't beat that with a stick.

wow that looks great , Think I know which one I'm going with here in a couple of months ! .

Hey fr-425 They are out of the alum. 3 core rads. But I just got word that more is on the way in a month or two !!! Just thought you might want tot know !! later:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey fr-425 They are out of the alum. 3 core rads. But I just got word that more is on the way in a month or two !!! Just thought you might want tot know !! later:salute:

Yea, I'm trying to boost sales on this item so they don't discontinue it.

Cause as long as people on here keep buy'n them he'll keep make'n them.

Looks like he sold 21 in the last 60 days, so I'd say the plan is working.

I'll keep bump'n this thread as soon as more are in stock.

Back