• Register Today It's free!

overhead mod

warthogdriver

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
i was wondering if there is a way to install an overhead display with mpg avg and trip info..all the goodies versus just the temp/dir. (sim to what blazers had)
i have to replace mine and would like to step up a little if i could.
i know some other ford vehicles have this type of info display.

i tried searching and came up with just whole console installs...mine just needs a display fix.

any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO.

the fuel calculations are handled by the Message center, not the overhead console.

couldn't the fuel calc wires be sent to the overhead? or is it not designed/programmed to handle that kind of display?

the display in the message center is a dot matrix, the display in the overhead is a digit display

IF you could reprogram the chips

OR IF you could separate the calculation circuits from the display circuits and somehow make your own display circuits... then maybe

in fact the chevy blazer's overhead console works like you want, sell your truck and buy one of those, lol

actually i do have a blazer, i swapped out the temp/dir for the mpg avg and other good stuff...was real simple.
i was hoping i could do something just as simple for the explorer.

i will have to look into the message center idea.
thanks

I have 4 or 5 left

I almost wish the signal between chevy and ford was the same then you could just swap it... but yeah right, lol

i poked around the site..found a dyi thread but the pdf link is dead/broken...would like to see the how to before i make the jump...and see what is involved.

14 wires

a few for power to the stereo

a few to the guage cluster

4 under the hood unless you skip the widshield washer low signal and the two oil signals, fuel flow from the pcm is the big one

I have the PDF if you need it... email me electrohacker at gmail dot com

Back