Overview of 2002 Mechanical Changes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overview of 2002 Mechanical Changes

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Best features are under the hood
of the new 2002 Explorer

Published: November 6, 2000
By: Robert Lane & Steve Blake

The upcoming Ford Explorer's true story is yet to be told because of the spotlight being primarily focused on the redesign and the addition of an optional third row seat. After analysis of the new powertrains that will be offered on what is still the best selling Sport Utility Vehicle brand in the market, we thought we should share our findings with you.

New Maintenance Free 150,000 Mile Transmission

The new wide-ratio, 5-speed 5R55W5 automatic transmission provides improved performance over most four and five-speed transmissions, including those offered by other manufacturers. This transmission features a new lighter weight 44 pound housing and is internally balanced for lower noise, vibration and harshness.

However, the transmission's best feature has to be the maintenance free design which greatly reduces the total vehicle operating costs. The new transmission is sealed at the factory with eleven quarts of a semi-synthetic blend of specially formulated fluid that should not require service for 150,000 miles. This also greatly benefits the environment.

The durability of this transmission was put to the test by Ford Motor Company. Besides seeing mud, steep hill climbs and a vigorous amount of towing that was conducted at Ford's Arizona Proving Grounds, a 2002 Explorer fitted with the new transmission was run at speeds of 115-120 miles per hour, for 50,000 miles while being connected to a dynamometer at Ford's Research and Engineering Center located in Dearborn, MI.

A New V8 To Be Proud Of

The increase of over 10% more horsepower over that of the aging 5.0L V8 provided in earlier model Explorers is not the best attribute of the optional first all-aluminum 4.6L V8. The added power and torque allow Explorer to boost its towing capacity for 2002, which is sure to keep the boat and camper hauling crowd pleased.

Besides the added power, this new V8 offers improved drivability and less weight. Also noteworthy is the increase in engine oil capacity from five quarts to six, for improved engine cooling, while also providing a longer engine life. Spark plug wires have also been eliminated by Ford's use of a direct coil-on-plug design, which will further reduce the vehicles overall maintenance costs.

You Don't Have To Apologize For The Standard V6 Either

Ford Motor Company has improved upon its reliable 4.0L single over-head cam engine by utilizing an all new equal-length composite intake system that greatly improves the sound quality experienced inside of the passenger compartment at all speeds.

While boasting an impressive 210 horsepower and 250 foot-pounds of torque, the use of new aluminum main bearings will further add to this engine's durability. Both engines, with routine maintenance, should go to 100,000 before a tune-up is ever needed.

PC Gaming On The Explorer's New Powertrain Electronic Controller

This is going to take many of you back quite a few years, but it is the best analogy to utilize for this new device. Most of you should recall when the game DOOM first hit the streets. It was the hottest software product to hit the market since Windows. However, many could not participate in this new multi-player PC game because of old equipment such as 286 or 386 SX based systems. Now imagine that you are loading DOOM on your Pentium™ based system while others drool all over their keyboards of their 286, 386, and even 486 based systems, because of envy.

That is just what Ford has done with the introduction of their next-generation 32-bit Powertrain Electronic Controller (PTEC) that manages all engine and transmission functions, while at the same time, also overseeing speed control, emissions and the vehicle's internal communications network.

In comparison, the system that this device replaced came with only a meager 256k worth of memory. PTEC now boasts four megabytes of memory, which means it would take sixteen of the older type devices to equal the capacity of just one PTEC system. According to Ford Motor Company, this new device is so sophisticated, it raised national security issues during development. "If you think of the previous-generation electronic engine control module as a 286 computer, the new PTEC is like a Pentium," explains Mike Pruitt, powertrain program planner.

PTEC is also about the environment, safety and security. The device controls the 4.0L flexible fuel capacity, allowing it to operate on blends of up to 85 percent ethanol which for air quality, is great news. The system also also allowed Ford's engineers to provide the 4.6L V8 a fail-safe engine cooling feature that engages if the the cylinder head temperature rises too high as a result of coolant loss. This is a great feature that will assist owners when unforeseen circumstances would otherwise strand other sport utility vehicle owners.

So when you stop by your local Ford dealer to test drive the new 2002 Explorer that is due to arrive sometime in February, don't forget to take notice of the new powertrain offerings. If you would like to have some fun at the same time, ask the new vehicle consultant if the Explorer's PTEC system is capable of playing DOOM.

----------------------

Whats everyone think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything I read about the 2002 is bigger, faster, nicer than ever. I cant wait to test drive one and see if it is true. I am also thinking about setting up a donation box towards my future purchase if anyone has any extra they would like to contribute let me know.

Same here, sounds like it has technology you dont even see on $60,000 SUVs. This should really bolster Fords sales, if they can hold the line on pricing. I know when the current model came out, I had a 94 Eddie Bauer that I had leased for one year, in anticipation of leasing a 95 Eddie Bauer or Limited for two years after that, finishing up a combined three year lease. Well, I remember the shock when I saw that 95 Limited up on the turntable at the DC Auto show, and saw that the sticker was $38,000. That was a 9K INCREASE from the 94 Limited. I hope we dont see the same thing again.

I just wish it LOOKED like the Urban Explorer concept. Ford would have more sales than they would know what to do with. But no. We get the sedate station wagon appearance...

2002exp_front.jpg

2002exp_rear.jpg

Now that's an Explorer!!

That's why they'll never be #1.

I don't think I would have bought my explorer if it looked like that. I bought an explorer to plow through snow/mud rocks/ and be semi comfortable in the city without having to worry about a few nick/scares. Now that looks like a suv made to drive around and look pretty. I want a truck not a truck i can't use what it was made for. I would probably laugh at someone who came onto a trail with that crap.

Tony the new 2002 Explorer is unfortunately a completely different breed than the older Explorers. They aren't the old Explorer which was built on a Ranger frame. They are street vehicles through and through with four wheel drive thrown in as an after thought.

For what it is intended I like the Urban Explorer. I don't really like the production 2002 Explorer very much because it's not unique, it's a down sized copy of the Expedition.

It will be interesting to see if lifts are ever built for the new Explorers. Of course it's possible, but it sure would be expensive to lift both the front and rear independent suspensions. Another pitfall to the new design is that the rear axles goes through holes in the frame to get to the rear wheels. This may be fine for limited travel street vehicles, but it seems like it would get in the way on a vehicle with a lot of suspension travel.

I'm sure one day we'll see someone strip all the IFS/IRS stuff off the new Explorer and stuff some solid axles under there, now that will be cool.

Rick, We should all start playing the lottery. Eventually, someone on this site will get the cash to make the 2002 what it should be :D

Im really happy with my 97 explorer sport. And well I was as I was reading about the new truck the engine seems like its getting much better but it upsets me to see them change the truck into a urban suv. I mean isn't there enough Mini-vans out there? Cause thats what I feel the trucks being used for. So what do we look forward to for off-roading? I not a fan of jeeps really because well they are small/not very comfortable. An Expedition? In my opinion they are too big for my liking. Im just upset to see them moving away from the real reason to buy a truck which is the rare power and upgradablity.

heyo,
hopefully the aftermarket will gift us w/ the appropriate parts to where if we want it to look like the urban, we can....but...as for parts that are out for explorers now, we all know it's scarce....so i don't see that happening either....

For off-roading, the Sport and Sport Trac are still available. They haven't talked publically about making those with IRS yet.

I live in Vegas....maybe I could hit the jackpot and build up the explorer....now If only I could get my faith to say it's right.

Rick...as for the urban Explorer..... I'll agree with you to a point. I saw one at a early(not supposed to) sight of Sema this year. I was kinda impressed. I did like the inside a ton, however with it being so low to the ground turned me off.....even for a street truck. You gain the extra piece of mind that you won't flip...but the first thing I thought of was....no more towing. If ford was to bring the urban explorer up about one to two inches you'd still get the low ground part down as well as keep several of the plus we have on the explorer now.

I still like the desert expedition the most out of everything I've seen from ford so far. I've been talking with some friends and they've been inside the darn thing....it's nice. I want one...badly.

i hate to say this but when it came time to replace my 91 explorer i went looking at explorers and came home with a ranger excab 4x2(98)looks like a 4x4.i just could spend ta $20,000 on a newer explorer and being that im only 18 the ranger was just a better fitand the ohv 4.0l is a better enging than the sohc in the ranger i raced a new sohc with my 98 and i walked him sorry long live the OHV.

I remember the OHV engines I had in the 94 and the 95. Wasn't really a problem in the 94, but the 95 was downright dangerous! It was okay off the line but when you'd pull out to pass a semi or something, the engine had nothing for you. I much prefer the SOHC.

Back