Oxygen Sensor Connector

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
Hey y'all. 98 Explorer XLT, 4.0L SOHC here. Changing out my Bank 1 Sensor 1 (yes, I know where it is) but that damn connector is way the hell up there---looks like it's tucked between the back of the block and the firewall. Any tips/tricks on how to unplug and plug that bugger? I'm driving 1250mi to New York on Monday and I want to get it done right tomorrow. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all else fails, you can pull the carpet back and remove the transmissoin tunnel plate (where the shifter woud normally go through if your vehicle had manual transmission) and disconnect it from the top.

I did some extensive research before I even got under the truck, and from what I can tell that's for the downstream sensors. Looking at this connector and its location between the block and firewall (not the tranny hump) it looks like the access panel wouldn't help in the slightest.

But I could be wrong?

Ignore this thread. Couldn't even get the sensor out of the downpipe. O2 sensor socket is too tall, 7/8" wrench either hits the cat or the tranny cooling lines depending on which way you orient the wrench. A short adjustable just rounded it off. #### this truck, I'm just going to drive it until it dies.

Thanks for the thread, but isn't that to access the downstream O2 sensors? The upstream ones are pretty far up, bank 1 sensor 1 is in the vicinity of the oil filter. I don't think this access panel would get me to the upstreams.

I took another look today and it looks like my best bet might be pulling the right wheel well out---I can get a wrench on it from the well, but the plastic well keeps me from putting some good torque on it.

I might just take it to the shop tomorrow and watch the guy work.

Anyone been there done that?

OK, I took her to a shop. Actually, two shops. The first one couldn't get the sensor out of the pipe. I guess the north salt really did a number on it. They referred me to another shop. It took the guy about 45 minutes to get it out. It got so buggered up that he had to resort to vice grips and a large hammer. He accessed it from below, just like how I was going at it.

To do the connector, which is on the back of the block, he removed the right front wheel, pulled the wheel well shroud out, and he was able to reach in to get to the plug. He literally had to stand in the wheel well to reach it though. This is for Bank 1 Sensor 1.

OK, I took her to a shop. Actually, two shops. The first one couldn't get the sensor out of the pipe. I guess the north salt really did a number on it. They referred me to another shop. It took the guy about 45 minutes to get it out. It got so buggered up that he had to resort to vice grips and a large hammer. He accessed it from below, just like how I was going at it.

To do the connector, which is on the back of the block, he removed the right front wheel, pulled the wheel well shroud out, and he was able to reach in to get to the plug. He literally had to stand in the wheel well to reach it though. This is for Bank 1 Sensor 1.

Sweet, thanks. I just wanted confirmation. All of the pics I saw of the access panel method just showed the lower sensors. I didn't want to rip my trucklet apart for naught.

Back