oxygen sensor question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oxygen sensor question.

jawknee99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sport ohv m
2000 explorer 4.0 ohv manual transmission 5 speed
My explorer has a total of 3 oxygen sensors 2 upstream one downstream after the cat. The downstream sensor was hitting my exhaust and burned/cut a wire from the sensor. My question is should I solder heatshrink it? Or should I just replace. Also does anyone know what part number these sensors are?? I called my local dealer but had no luck. The 2 guys I spoke to knew nothing. I've called "autozone" and the just have the Bosch replacements. Are these any good I kinda wanna stick with motorcraft if possible. Kinda wanna just replace all three... What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know why you insist on Motorcraft-branded, but Rock Auto has them

The down stream sensor has no effect on how the engine runs. It just monitor's catalytic converter efficiency. Repair it or replace it. Your choice, but there is no rush.

Don't know why you insist on Motorcraft-branded, but Rock Auto has them
I just read someone say that other brands give out different readings and stuff but if that's the case then I'm just gonna pick some up this weekend.

The down stream sensor has no effect on how the engine runs. It just monitor's catalytic converter efficiency. Repair it or replace it. Your choice, but there is no rush.
OK OK in hear ya. Well my right passenger side upstream oxygen sensor is bent, I had my truck sitting at a lot and someone cut out all my cats . just left me with my drivers side pre cat. I managed to weld on a pipe to get it running and not sound loud but it runs terrible .

Replace or crimp heatshrink. Do not solder. I’ve read that soldering will affect your sensor readings.

Replace or crimp heatshrink. Do not solder. I’ve read that soldering will affect your sensor readings.
I've read the same. I'll try it and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll just buy a new one
:thumbsup:

OK OK in hear ya. Well my right passenger side upstream oxygen sensor is bent, I had my truck sitting at a lot and someone cut out all my cats . just left me with my drivers side pre cat. I managed to weld on a pipe to get it running and not sound loud but it runs terrible .
Sorry to hear. Are those desperate drug addicts still crawling under cars in your area for $20 worth of platinum? As Koda pointed out, the rear sensor just monitors the cats, so whatever you do there will have no effect engine performance, but will complain and turn the CEL on until you install proper cats. Not to mention that driving with bypassed catalytic converters is illegal in most jurisdictions -- if not all.

Sorry to hear. Are those desperate drug addicts still crawling under cars in your area for $20 worth of platinum? As Koda pointed out, the rear sensor just monitors the cats, so whatever you do there will have no effect engine performance, but will complain and turn the CEL on until you install proper cats. Not to mention that driving with bypassed catalytic converters is illegal in most jurisdictions -- if not all.
Meth is a hell of a drug. Well IMA replace my passenger side (upstream) and hope it acts a little better. Tried going uphill yesterday and my check engine started flashing. So hopefully I can find some cheap cats or IMA have to buy them new.:burnout:

Meth is a hell of a drug. Well IMA replace my passenger side (upstream) and hope it acts a little better. Tried going uphill yesterday and my check engine started flashing. So hopefully I can find some cheap cats or IMA have to buy them new.:burnout:
Flashing CEL is a warning about severe misfire, so that's not caused by defective O2 sensors. Usually, not advised to drive in this condition, because of the risk of damage to cats from raw fuel. Guess that's not your concern at the moment..

A quick crimp and heat shrink and nothing. Codes going off like crazy. Then I thought of a fuse going out. Checked a fuse diagram and boom. Under the hood #13 a 15 amp fuse affecting all my 02 sensors. Ran a bit better got to work and misfire cylinder 4. Started with the spark plug pulled it at work tested it and yup big ol misfire. Went to replace it for a couple of bucks and no CODES. Now I just gotta give it a much needed tune up and eventually get new cats. Truck is running great. :chug:

A quick crimp and heat shrink and nothing. Codes going off like crazy. Then I thought of a fuse going out. Checked a fuse diagram and boom. Under the hood #13 a 15 amp fuse affecting all my 02 sensors. Ran a bit better got to work and misfire cylinder 4. Started with the spark plug pulled it at work tested it and yup big ol misfire. Went to replace it for a couple of bucks and no CODES. Now I just gotta give it a much needed tune up and eventually get new cats. Truck is running great. :chug:

@jawknee99

Don't forget to re-set your computer so it relearns it's new parameters.

Back