P0133 Controversy??

ghh97eb

Reaction score
City, State
Staunton, Virginia, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 BMW 328xi
Recently my 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD has started to repeatedly throw the
P0133 code. According to my Actron PocketScan booklet, this code corresponds to "02 Sensor Ckt Slow Response, Bank 1". Ok, so it is an Oxygen sensor. The problem is, that according to some of the posts I've read, the O2 sensor that P0133 refers to is on the passenger side, before the catalytic converter, and according to others, it is on the driver's side. I've never replaced an O2 sensor before, so I really don't have a clue as to which is correct and I want to avoid replacing the wrong one.

If I wanted to try and do this fix myself, and all I have is a pair of drive-up ramps to be able to get underneath my Ex, which side do I go to--passenger or driver? And are there any known problems that make replacing this particular O2 sensor overly difficult for a do-it-yourselfer?

Also, what I might expect to pay to get a shop to do the work for me?

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. :cool::exp:

5.0 O2 issues...

Well, first off, to even get at the connectors for at least two, (maybe 3!), of the O2 sensors on my 97 5.0 EB AWD, I had to take out the center console to be able to remove an access panel with 4 bolts to be able to access the O2 sensor connectors. I saw no way to be able to get to the connectors from under the truck and be able to push the release tab AND pull the sensor out of the harness let alone re-installing the sensors and connectors. (I have an AWD 5.0 so there is a lot in the way). I was able to remove and reinstall the right hand, downstream O2 from the bottom, but still had to disconnect and reconnect the connector from inside the truck. I had a code for slow response as well. I have a $2500 scanner and I remember from back when I was a Linc/Mercury tech that the code the scan tool told you didn't necessarily correspond with the correct sensor in the car. There are 4 sensors on a 5.0, 2 upstream of the converter and 2 downstream. I initially had a code like yours for slow response so I wanted to be able to disconnect the different O2 sensors as I was monitoring all of the sensors to replace the correct one. I saw one "sticking" more than the other three, found the correct connector, and when I disconnected the one that was slow, it will go to 0 and not move. Maybe this is a slow way to do this but at least you can eliminate the "good" sensors that are switching back and forth OK. On my scan tool it said that there are other things that can cause this code as well like too much fuel, loose air intake tube and a few other things.

I have no idea what labor would be on this. Maybe the shops have a better way to get at the connectors. I think you are going to have to get access to a scan tool that will monitor the sensors to be able to diagnose it properly.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, for your informative post.

BTW, it looks like the mystery is growing -- the Check Engine Light that comes on when I get the P0133 code I mentioned has recently begun turning itself off on its own, for some reason. What I am going to do the next time that the CEL comes on is to connect the PocketScan like I have done for other things, and confirm that P0133 is the only code (I have not seen any other code so far). Then I will not erase the code and see if the CEL turns itself off. If the CEL eventually turns itself off, then I'll connect the PocketScan again and see if there are any codes. I have experienced the CEL turning itself off once before--when we first got the Explorer, my wife did not attach the gas cap properly the first time she filled it up. The CEL came on, and I re-attached the gas cap properly. Soon after, the CEL turned itself off.

Since the good old Explorer is running just fine, and I have not experienced any decrease in gas mileage, etc., it seems like it is not a currently pressing issue. I'll keep an eye on it and update this thread with a new message so anyone else with a similar problem might be able to benefit.

Thanks again,

ghh97eb:exp:

O2 sensor issues.

Well, my Explorer is doing the same thing as yours is now. I replaced the one right side, downstream sensor and reset the engine light and about 2 weeks later a code came on for the left side downstream sensor. ( I KNEW I should have done both when I had that console out! I didn't replace any more originally because according to my scan tool, the other 3 sensors were switching back and forth fast and consistently.) Mine is running fine too with the light on. I have heard that when the downstream ones go bad, the car won't necessarily run bad or have crappy mileage like when the upstream ones go bad. So anyways I didn't have time to tear out the console so I let the light stay on for a few days and the light went out and has been out for about a week now. I know the computer will set the code when it sees a particular sensor being "lazy" for a period of time.

The console itself is not too bad to get out. Do a search for console removal on this site and there is a sticky somewhere about removing the console easily. I did it the hard way and disassembled the WHOLE thing, (remove and re-install CD player, rear blower motor assly, assorted other items in the console, 300+ screws, etc.!!). You can basically leave most of the console intact and remove and re-install it as an assembly and I think there are only 4 fasteners holding it in. The trick is whacking it with the wood to knock it loose per the article here. Then you can save a LOT of time by not playing jigsaw puzzle with the console re-assembly.

Good luck!

Back