• Register Today It's free!

p0133 Diagnosis

DaytonMounty

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I have been reading about the p0133 code and I am trying to figure what approach to take next. My 97 Mountaineer 5.0 is running rough on acceleration and idle. I'm not sure if replacing the sensor should be my next step or not. Over the past month or two I have done the following due to other CEL codes and have not had any of them return. Upper and lower intake gaskets replaced, new cam sync, cleaned MAF, new EGR tube and sensor and a new passenger side exhaust manifold. I know my muffler is toast and I will be replacing it soon but what i have read i dont think this would be involved with p0133. I have seen this code off and on over the past year or two but now it will not stay off. After replacing my cam sync the truck ran great for 2 days then it was right back to the p0133. I don't mind replacing the sensors since I have about 136k on it anyhow. Any ideas would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup
bank 1 sensor 1 is located on the passenger side upstream catalytic converter. A slow response usually indicates it is worn out.

IMO it is easiest to remove the center console to get to the connector.

For best performance I would hesitate to get a "cheap" part.

Thanks for the response. I have the center console almost out as of last night. All i have to do is beat the living crap out of it after work tonight (thanks to the great post here). I will go ahead and replace the sensors on the front and see how it goes. I hope this is it!

If you look real close--at the bottom edge of the console toward the rear is a small cut out--raised edges area. You can get a screwdriver up in there and press upwards on the release tabs, then push the console back.

006-7.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I will look into it in about 3 hours ;)

Any suggestions to getting this monster out other than pb blaster and a lot of muscle? I let the engine run long enough to heat the exhaust but that didn't help. I'm leaning towards trying to heat the exhaust pipe the best I can with a torch and seeing if i can bust it loose. Other than that I have no idea....

I think it is 7/8" correct? Use a wrench. once it is heated, try tapping the wrench good with a hammer in the tighten direction, see if it will move. Then start tapping left to loosen it. Once it moves a bit, more pb blaster and taps.

ok thanks. It is 7/8" I will try again in the morning. I broke 2 socket extensions on this mother today so I went and got them replaced. I feel sorry for this sensor because it doesn't realize who it is messing with lol. I appreciate the help Turdle.

Thanks again for the help. I got the old sensor out today after using an impact wrench. I will get the CEL reset tomorrow and see what happens.

Back