p0143, p1405, p0171, p0174 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p0143, p1405, p0171, p0174

djblackout

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer OHV 4x4
i didnt see any CEL's but my ABS light was on, so i went and got my codes read at autozone. after seeing these, it makes me wonder if the previous owner swapped the light with CEL / ABS.

anyways what do these codes mean? ive been having problems with the trans shifting weird into 4th or maybe 5th gear. not sure which. if gears 1-4 shifted and took 1 second to shift, when going into 5th it takes 1.5 seconds during the shift. seems maybe like its slipping? i dunno.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DTCs

P0143 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank I Sensor 3)
P1405 Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic Sensor circuit Upstream Hose
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

Does the CEL illuminate when the ignition switch is turned from Off to Run? If not, the CEL may be burned out. If its not burned out and not illuminated after engine is started then the above DTCs may just be pending instead of set. To avoid unnecessarily illuminating the CEL, the PCM will often look for a repeat of the failure before illuminating the CEL.

It might be helpful if you posted your vehicle type and which engine (OHV or SOHC V6) is in your vehicle. I seem to recall that bank 1 sensor 3 is for a 02+ Sport or Sport Trac.

its a 98 explorer 4.0L 4 door 4wd. and no the CEL doesnt light up im pretty sure the bulb is burnt out

Fix it yet?

Hey, if you still need help, the DPFE fault has to do with the DPFE sensor on the driver side of the block, and it has to do with the EGR system. That sensor failing will cause the lean codes. The low voltage from the O2 sensor means the O2 sensor is reading, wait for it.... a lean condition. Could be the DPFE sensor or the EGR stuck.

Back