• Register Today It's free!

P0304 after coolant leak

Terry Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Graham
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
So my wife went to Walmart yesterday. Pulled into the parking lot and the coolant boiled out.

Got it to a buddy's house who lives a mile down the street and popped off the motor cover.

The small rubber blockoff plug on back of the intake had shot off. I replaced the spring with a radiator clamp and refilled the radiator. No more leaks and temp gauge shows normal.

After running about 6 miles I got a code P0304, misfire on cylinder 4.

My initial thoughts are everything got soaked when the radiator blew all the AF out.

Am I hosed here or is there anything I can do to resolve this? I see a lot of people saying to replace intake gaskets but is that needed if everything just got flooded or should I just try blowing out any of the old AF I see on the intake?

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep 4.6l V8 with a 5r55w auto. Looks like I need to figure out which cylinder is number 4. I'm assuming I should just pull that coil pack and blow it out?

Perfect thanks. Gonna give it a look shortly.

Looks like I need to figure out which cylinder is number 4.

4.6L_Fire_Order.png

I pulled the number 4 coil and blew out the remaining AF with the air hose. Put it all back together and reset the SEL. Everything seems good to go now after a few mile drive. No bucking and kicking. I have only had the Exp a few weeks now. It needs a good bit of work so I am sure I will be back on here asking you guys for input. Thanks for the replies.

The small rubber blockoff plug on back of the intake had shot off. I replaced the spring with a radiator clamp and refilled the radiator

Sounds like you probably have a Dorman aftermarket intake manifold with the small rubber plug on the rear passenger side. If so, they're notorious for being a problem. I've had one pop off with the original Dorman plug and Dorman clamp when under hard acceleration, and I've had the aftermarket plugs wear out within a couple of years. I've found using an old standard screw down clamp is necessary, and cutting a piece of heater hose and capping it off is what will last. I got stuck out of town twice thanks to that stupid set up before I did it this way.

Sounds like you probably have a Dorman aftermarket intake manifold with the small rubber plug on the rear passenger side. If so, they're notorious for being a problem. I've had one pop off with the original Dorman plug and Dorman clamp when under hard acceleration, and I've had the aftermarket plugs wear out within a couple of years. I've found using an old standard screw down clamp is necessary, and cutting a piece of heater hose and capping it off is what will last. I got stuck out of town twice thanks to that stupid set up before I did it this way.
That's correct. I believe it was a foreman and does have the rubber plug.

Tip: Stay away from Dorman junk. Consider it a temporary repair if you must use Dorman in a quick pinch.

I have a Dorman exhaust manifold on another vehicle that is factory turbocharged. The Dorman manifold HAS CRACKED and is leaking exhaust!

2vw9oqu.jpg

Back