• Register Today It's free!

P0402 OBDII code.

mikes240

Reaction score
City, State
Appleton Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I own a 1996 Explorer with the 5 liter engine (vin code "P"). I too have the 402 code problem with my vehicle. I have changed the vacuum hose, the EGR vacuum regulator, the EGR position sensor and the EGR valve (in that order). My truck does not have any pipes coming up from the exhaust to the EGR valve nor does it have a PFE/DPFE sensor. I literally spent hours looking for the DPFE sensor. Even went as far as purchasing one so I knew exactly what I was looking for. When I took the DPFE back the parts guy was kind enough to snag a mechanic to take a peak under the hood. I was told I have the "old style" and at that point I traded the DPFE for the new EGR valve. It felt great to finally drive without the check engine light staring back at me. That lasted about 3 days and the 402 code came back. I then hosed out the the throttle body with the appropriate cleaner and sprayed down the MAF sensor with appropriate cleaner. No help. The only modification I made was to install a K&N series 57 FIPK air filter. I don't think that the filter change could have brought on the problem but I've been battling this so long I don't know if the problem and the filter came at the same time. HELP! Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the EEC-V section.
Thank you for the help, etc .. after several replacement parts I am still in the same boat I guess with a lot of these others owners experienced PO 402 codes on my 96 5.0 Explorer( replaced erg and sensor control valve on top of it, egr vacc solenoid and vacc hose, mine does not have a DPFE sensor)
also has new 2 forward cat pipes, o2 sensors(4) new muffler and tail pipe, recent tune up and oil change ( all done after the po402 code, )
if any one has any other ideas?, please send them along, need to get a retake on the inspection sticker and cant figure out why it throws a code or multiple ones( all po402) and after resetting each,while driving and checking with the scanner, as soon as a code is put up, I shut down the engine, key on, eng off and reset the code, some times it throws a code within a mile again, sometimes could do 10 miles or more and wont get a code. for what it might be worth?, the lite on dash comes on after it puts up 2 codes, both being po402, Thanx again for any suggestions. .jimmy k

Thanks! I'm new to this site and I don't have a clue. I appreciate the help.
Mike

...Just click on the links in post #2 and you will find some info to help resolve your problem...;)

Back