• Register Today It's free!

P0420 and Power Loss

kevthexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear Lake, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I'm having a problem with my '02 Explorer 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. No mods. A little background, and then the problem.

About 3 weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires, and coil(s). I cleared the DTC (random missfire). After those repairs the vehicle ran great. The CEL came on but I figured it was the random missfire again because I had two plugged wires reversed, but those were corrected. I didn't clear the code at that time. We went on a little trip (about 30 miles), got to a hill and began losing power. After almost all power was lost we went back down the hill (downhill power was great, no surprise there). But at the bottom there was barely enough power to get off the freeway to a side street and it would barely idle. New codes were P0300 - random missfire again, P0420 - Catalyst Sys Efficiancy Below Threshold (Bank 1), and P0113 - Air intake Temp Circuit High Input. I cleaned the MAF/AIT to no avail, did some testing with a blow dryer and freeze in a can and decided to replace the MAF/IAT. With the new MAF/IAT it ran pretty good (but still seemed to lack a little power) and I cleared the codes. Went on another trip (flat ground this time) and after about 10 miles on the freeway, we began losing power again - fading slowly. After our destination (about 3 hours sitting) we headed home. Started and ran great, but less power and fading with every mile. Had to have it towed home. It will start and idle fine, but even in park, and floored, rpm will not exceed 2000 at running temperature. When it's cold, there's plenty of rpm and power. There seems to be plenty of pressure in the fuel rail.

You're now up to date. There are no codes, but there is one pending - the evap system. I don't know if I've driven far enough for new codes to show up. There is a rattle coming from one of the catalytic converters and I can duplicate it by thumping it with my fist when it's not running so I know that it is the CC on that side (other side does not rattle).

After reading many posts I'm beginning to think that my catalytics are dieing but I'm wondering, if that's the case, why does it take 10 miles on the freeway to lose power. If a converter is collapsed, wouldn't it begin right away? Or does it take a converter that long to get up to temp and plug up?

Another question is: If the gas cap is not venting the tank, will the pump be able over power the vacuume created in the tank at some point by the pump? The tank is nearly full so there is less of a vapor "reservoir" to draw from. That's my next check - the fuel cap.

Any Ideas? Experiences?

Back