• Register Today It's free!

P0455 EVAP system

c2harvey

Reaction score
City, State
Picture Rocks, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Awhile ago my check fuel cap light started coming on every once in a while in my 2002 Explorer V6 SOHC, and just randomly. After about 4 times I bought a new gas cap and installed it and cleared the computer. the light stayed of for about 9 days, and today the service engine soon light came on, but not the check fuel cap light. got the code read P0455- the ECM has detected a large leak in the EVAP system during a system monitor test. I looked underneath the vehicle and under the hood and didnt see any leaks in anything. What could be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the check fuel cap light still turns on at startup, so the bulb isnt burned out.

cleared the computer a couple days after that, and the light just came back on with the same code

the check fuel cap light is now on again, and i noticed a hose under the hood that connects to a pipe behind the engine that has shiny tape on it and what feels like a zip tie under the tape at the connection of the hose and pipe.
it is the bottom hose that attaches to this

0918091502.jpg

anybody have any ideas? what is a common problem with 02's?

Hmm, I am not aware that this is a common problem on '02s, and I have been checking this board for years.

It is a problem on '98 Volvo V90s as it turns out (have one in the driveway), and a PITA to troubleshoot.

Turns out in my case it was the wife not installing the (locking) gas cap with enough oomph, so it appears to be fixed (for now).

For the Ex, I am not even familiar with how this system works.

Sorry I'm no help, but I'll give your thread a bump.

i know auto shops have some smoke machine that hooks up to the evap system and finds the leak that way.

I would check all connections / hoses dealing with the evap system.

Good luck and keep us updated.

i looked at all the hoses i could find underneath and under the hood and didnt see anything that looked like it might be leaking.

i looked at all the hoses i could find underneath and under the hood and didnt see anything that looked like it might be leaking.

What jake drew said above - there is a procedure for hooking up a low pressure smoke test to these systems that allows easy idenification of the leak. Probably a lot cheaper than chasing ghosts. I ahve not been able to find this smoke test kit for sale myself, but I suspect it's out there for the die-hard do it yourselfer.

Awhile ago my check fuel cap light started coming on every once in a while in my 2002 Explorer V6 SOHC, and just randomly. After about 4 times I bought a new gas cap and installed it and cleared the computer. the light stayed of for about 9 days, and today the service engine soon light came on, but not the check fuel cap light. got the code read P0455- the ECM has detected a large leak in the EVAP system during a system monitor test. I looked underneath the vehicle and under the hood and didnt see any leaks in anything. What could be wrong?
Hey man, did you ever find the leak or jam? I'm wrestling with that same issue myself here. Odd thing, it started with "check fuel cap" light. Then after a few days it would turn on the "service engine soon" light. I bought a code reader and was resetting them after I had bought a new (and expensive) gas cap. It didn't work. Yesterday I reset the "check fuel cap" light for about the fourth or fifth time (takes a few days for the light to come on after reset). Each time the code was solely the P0457. Today, the "service engine soon" light came on so I hooked it up and it was code P0455.

Putting the two together, I would imagine there is some sort of sensor that goes in the system which checks both. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks!

I never found the source of the leak. I took it to a Ford dealer and had them check it out, they tested 3 or 4 different things, and they were all fine. I've just been checking the code and erasing it when the light comes on.

Good by P0455!!

This code popped up on my 1997 Exploder last week. Thanks to the information on this and a few other threads I found the problem. I looked under the battery tray and saw the power connector to the solenoid. I pulled it loose and found one pin was quite green with corrosion. I scraped it clean with an X-acto knife (the only quick tool available at the time) then replaced the connector. I removed and replaced the connector several times to help clean the post and now the code is gone! YIPPEE!!

This forum has done a lot to keep my old beast up and running! Maybe my recent experience will help someone else.

Thank you everyone! :salute:

Steve

PS Now all I need to do is battle the P0443 code! I believe it is the purge vent over the spare tire. I work at Auto Zone and guess which part we do NOT carry?! Yep! The one that I need! Go figure! :shoot: Hello Advance Auto!! LOL :party:

Steve

I have the 0443 code as well, did you figure out what the deal with that was?

I'll check PCV when I get home tonight. Forgot to mention that I had some electrical shenanigans this weekend, a couple fuses blew and my alternator went out. I'm thinking its maybe something electrical in the EVAP. Any ideas, i.e. maybe an inline fuse?

I am wondering if it the PCV hose on those. It was a very common problem. It is a big hose and looks like a big L. Alot of times you might get a small crack in the 90 degree rubber elbows.
The "notorious" PCV elbow will usually throw p0171 & p0174 DTC's.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670

p0455 is often caused by an improperly seated rubber fuel cap gasket.
Also carefully check all the evap canister hoses for cracking or leaks.

The "notorious" PCV elbow will usually throw p0171 & p0174 DTC's.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670

p0455 is often caused by an improperly seated rubber fuel cap gasket.
Also carefully check all the evap canister hoses for cracking or leaks.

I have seen some without the code but it does tend to throw a code. I am also wondering if it the hoses on the filler neck especially the vent hose. That was common on the Explorer's also.

Back