P0457, P1433, Evap/Gas Cap Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0457, P1433, Evap/Gas Cap Leak

hpfiend

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4.0 & 03 Lim. 4.6
Hey all,

I have a 1999 XLT Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC V6 with 114,500 miles. I was driving it the other day and out of the blue a CEL came on but with no driveability issues.

I scanned it and found it to be P0457 loose/leaky gas cap. I tightened the cap and cleared the code and a few days later code back on. Again P0457.

I put a new cap on it from Autozone and cleared the code. A few days later light back on. This time P01433. I looked at the lines and couldn't see anything obvious so cleared it again and now the light has come back on but I haven't had a chance to see if it is one of the two original codes or a new one.

I have noticed a gas smell after I get out of the car after parking and walk towards the rear of the vehicle but never when driving. The rubber line that connects to one of the the metal lines to the filler neck appears to have a gap near the end but the clamp is tight...

I searched and found a few other people having the same problem but never saw what they did to repair it... This problem is not going to go away and the light is quite annoying (as it is intended to be)

The truck does drive well with no symptoms but may be using a lot of gas???... I have been running it low a lot lately as I don't drive it all the time and put 20.00 here and there into it but it seems to go low VERY quickly if the gauge is accurate at all... the needle does seem to move a lot while driving. Could be just the gauge though as I have not done any calculations with the odometer...

Thanks!
Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bring it to a shop and have them do a EVAP leak test, that way your not guessing

The results?

Guys I have a 98 same issue, please let us know the result. I will check under the battery and under the spear tire, but it would be nice to know. I am sure is a common issue with explorer owners.

Thanks tom

Well I think I figured mine out- Believe it or not the vent line to the tank was completely loose... I also removed the canister assembly, checked to see if they were clogged or any lines were cracked/loose, I unplugged the solenoid there and checked for 12volts with the key on. It was there but I could not feel anything in the solenoid, I blew air into it with my air compressor and soaked it for a while with pb blaster. I put it back together and connected the disconnected line and no light for about 50 miles or so so far...

FWIW I had previously put a new advance auto cap on it which did not solve the problem.

thanks for the response

Thank you for responding, your time and trouble will help me and anyone else reading. I will update based on my results.

Fuel Filler Neck suspect

I have been trying to solve mine for over a year on my 1999 XLT AWD with 145,000 miles. Replaced gas cap with a Ford OEM about a year ago. Still getting occasional MIL through the year.

Last week I noticed the plastic insert in the fuel filler neck (xl2z-9034-ca) was cracked and there was a black residue on either side of the crack. Dealers want $277.80 for it, local automotive recyclers want $125 (rust included for free!) and found TASCO Ford sells it new for $152 plus shipping and handling. Installed the metal upper portion it in about 30 minutes. I may install the hose portion some other time when I have absolutely nothing else in my life to do!

Toughest part of the job was removing the old hose clamps and breaking the stick between the metal and rubber. The new clamps aren't very good quality and will likely buy better ones.

The removed original filler neck was quite rusty on the portion exposed to wheel spray and could have some small holes. The corrosion was also in and around the plastic. Word of advice when fueling, CAREFULLY insert fuel nozzle to avoid breaking this plastic part. It is NOT sold separately that I could find or was told.

Fingers are crossed this is the end of it and not the beginning! If the beginning, please share any other likely suspects

Fuel Filler Neck suspect for evap leak

Sorry for the delayed follow-up. The replaced filler neck with cracked plastic and likely corrosion leak stopped the check engine light coming on again. So, for any that have this light or code, check this and if as old as mine, it is a likely suspect.

Certainly fog testing should pinpoint this but if the plastic is cracked or filler heavily corroded, then replacing it would be worthwhile.

Gee, I just bought an 06 Explorer and the 99 is now in need of a new owner! Anyone looking for one?

Im having the same problem on my 01 exploder with 80k miles. I replaced the gas cap with a new factory part from the dealer. Still have the CIL and reduced gas milage.

Thanks for the advice. Now I know what to look for before I spend the money to have the smoke test done.

Here's what I found on my 2000 Explorer with 63,000mi. After replacing the gas cap & resetting the fault, no help! I took a closer look at the plastic filler neck, where the gas cap O-ring seats, & found a very small crack, felt with your finger nail. Instead of replacing the filler neck, I used a small amount of epoxy, & sanded it smooth for good contact surface with the O-ring. This seems to have cured my fuel cap fault(P0457)!

Back