P1409 Code - Replaced EGR Still Having Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1409 Code - Replaced EGR Still Having Issues

Panema

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4WD
Hi Folks, new to the forum. thanks in advance for any help.

My check engine light came on about a week ago so I stopped at AutoZone and found out it was throwing code P 1409. The recommendation was to replace the EGR Vacuum Solenoid. I bought the part and did that tonight. Was surprised at how accessible it was on the explorer sport and For a second I thought this was going to be an easy fix.

After replacing the solenoid with the new part the check engine light is still on. I’m also continuing to experience a a rough idle - the engine jiggles and shimmies the car in park. I have also noticed preceding the check engine light the transmission seems to be shifting a little clunky when I start and stop at stop lights which I have also read can be a related issue (although I’m not 100% sure if that’s the case).

I was able to check and make sure the solenoid is getting 12 V with a multi meter so it is being supplied with power. I also disconnected all the vacuum tubes going in and out of the part and blue on them to make sure there were no obstructions and best I could tell they were all free and clear.

What’s next? Anyone have any ideas or guidance on what I should try? Most of the info I can find does not relate specifically to the explorer sport. I’m keen to try and fix this myself if I can as I’m learning a bunch. And if someone has some input, I’d really appreciate it.
Thanks!
// Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My check engine light came on about a week ago so I stopped at AutoZone and found out it was throwing code P 1409. The recommendation was to replace the EGR Vacuum Solenoid. I bought the part and did that tonight. Was surprised at how accessible it was on the explorer sport and For a second I thought this was going to be an easy fix.

After replacing the solenoid with the new part the check engine light is still on. I’m also continuing to experience a a rough idle - the engine jiggles and shimmies the car in park. I have also noticed preceding the check engine light the transmission seems to be shifting a little clunky when I start and stop at stop lights which I have also read can be a related issue (although I’m not 100% sure if that’s the case).

I was able to check and make sure the solenoid is getting 12 V with a multi meter so it is being supplied with power. I also disconnected all the vacuum tubes going in and out of the part and blue on them to make sure there were no obstructions and best I could tell they were all free and clear.

What’s next? Anyone have any ideas or guidance on what I should try? Most of the info I can find does not relate specifically to the explorer sport. I’m keen to try and fix this myself if I can as I’m learning a bunch. And if someone has some input, I’d really appreciate it.
Thanks!
// Phil
U gotta reset the battery to calibrate the new her it needa to go through drive cycles it thinks the old one is still on.

Thanks!
// Phil
So a shimmy in park is prob going to be a small/medium vacuum leak also it is vacuum controlled right? This part could be completely disconnect no shimmy.

U gotta reset the battery to calibrate the new her it needa to go through drive cycles it thinks the old one is still on.

Thanks for the input! So, after I made this post last night I actually did just that to be sure. I disconnected the battery to reset everything and the check engine light came back on after about 10 min of driving... so I think something still might be amiss.

Any additional input greatly appreciated.

Best get your own OBD2 scanner, so you can immediately tell if you've done any good, & can reset the CEL yourself.
There could be multiple TroubleCodes & P1409 is the "Effect", not the "Cause".
I have the OBDLink MX+, use it with my "stupid" phon or laptop via bluetooth.

Ok - great input thanks. The scanner I used at Autozone didn't give much info and needed to have an employee hook it up to a terminal I will spend some time looking into scanner options and hopefully find somoething that will give a little more data / insight into whats going on.

Thanks

I'd also be suspicious of the DPFE\DifferentialPressureFlowElement; it's a common failure item
mounted on 2 smaller metal risers on the exhaust tube just upstream of the EGRValve;
The PCM monitors the DPFE signal to confirm proper flow thru the EGRValve;
if the DPFE signal is erroneous, the PCM may be misinterpreting that as a bad EGR Solenoid.
The orifice in the exhaust tube between the 2 smaller risers may be clogged with carbon;
spray some Carb\Throttle cleaner down the EGR tube, let it soak, followed by compressed air.
View attachment 324189
Thanks for all the input. I ordered my own scanner and should be able to get some more detailed info which will hopefully be helpful in gathering some more info.

I will spend some time checking the actual EGR valve, followed by the DPFE\DifferentialPressureFlowElement, and the related tubes and connections to see if I can find any small / medium leaks or fault with the devices themselves. Hopefully will turn something up and if not I might just start replacing the valve, tubes, etc in the hopes its something there.

If anyone has more input or ideas, completely open to it. Will keep this thread posted with any updates in the coming days / weeks.

Cheers,

Back