Paint mixing cup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint mixing cup

Hey, need a simple answer to a simple question. I'm about to venture into the realm of painting with a paint gun, as opposed to rattle cans. I've got about all the equipment I need (thanks to friends at NAPA), but I can't get a straight answer on mixing the paint/reducer/hardener. I get the ratios, know how the cup works, but I get different answers. Is paint mixed paint first then hardener then reducer (thinner) or is it Paint-reducer-hardener? I'm kinda leaning toward paint/reducer/hardener cause that makes more sense to me. But, I'll let the experts/professionals tell me if I can get a consistent answer.

When I was painting cars (15 years ago) I mixed my paint with the reducer first and set it aside, then I chose how much of the reduced paint I was going to spray at that time, then add the hardener (last) because once you add the hardener, it cannot sit around, you HAVE to spray it, or it becomes waste. Hope this helps.

Actually that's exactly what the guy at the paint store said, and now that I have looked at the paint cup with freshly rested eyes and brain it makes sense there to. Thanks for the input!

Back