Testing color before spraying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Testing color before spraying

Hello,

I had some Olive Green and Desert Tan paint mixed at the local paint supply house. To match the colors they had me spray some sheet metal with the spray cans that I wanted to duplicate. They then ran the samples through the PPG matching machine.

However I want to confirm that the match is good before I have the beast sprayed. I took the cans, stirred them up really well (I think..) and brushed a section on my original samples.

The paint has dried for 12 hours now and it does not look close. I would describe it as creamy.. Note that it is still very tacky. Should I have mixed in some of the reducer and hardiner before testing?

I'm probably going to swing by the shop in the am to get their opinion and help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You're going to love this...

Called the paint shop. Explained what was going on and asked how to test. Manager says we don't custom mix paint in the Omni brand using the PPG machine cause it does not match...

I told the manager to go track down the guy named Bill who just sold me $254.00 of Omni mixed using the PPG machine.

10 minutes later, sounding like a kicked puppy Bill gets on the phone.. Lots of OOPS and Sorry...

Bottom line on Thursday I'm going back to the shop and we are going to test spray some scrap. If it does not work they are going to eat the paint..

We'll see what happens.
hg

What's up w/ the paint Hank, you aren't getting rid of the green and tan are you?

Are you interested in those factory amps I have?

Hello Big Poppa! How've you been?

Keeping the green and tan but replacing it with military green and tan.

Yes, still looking for factory amps, factory sub box, and any required wiring.

Hey, we are meeting at the mine on Saturday am for a pre-run. e-mail mdrut for directions and times if you are interested. Should be fun. Mike says lots of mud...

Best regards.
hg

Back