• Register Today It's free!

Painted calipers with POR15

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I decided to try out the blue caliper paint by POR15. Its a brush on application with no activator or anything like that.. just open can and start painting (stir it up first).

My car has seen winter and that means there was plenty of prep required before painting anything. The back of the calipers were rusty and greasy so I decided that I would only focus on the outer caliper as that is what is only really visible through the wheel anyway. I took the bracket's off and got them shiny before painting. It should be mentioned that you can do this job without removing any parts if your car is rust free given you have the proper brushes / masking skills.

I am letting everything dry overnight before reassembly. The paint sticks good even after 1 hour (it says 3 to 4 hour dry time on can).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ended up slapping this together last night due to bad weather today. It started pouring out this morning so good thing I didn't wait.

I put a light coat on after I got everything bolted back on the car.

I'll get more pics when it stops raining

Looks good. I like the idea.

Now that its been 24 hours the paint is pretty much cured and color has a bit more pop. I worried the blue would be too dark but it has some pop especially in sunlight. A lot of the POR15 colors are on the darker shade just FYI.

I like that a lot. I've never been thrilled with bright red or yellow calipers.

Do you have a link to where POR15 lists the colors? I'd like a dark gold on one of my cars, darker colors are much better(brakes get dirty).

Thanks. I did not want red or yellow either. I did contemplate going dark Bronze or Gold. I already have a few blue accents under the hood so I stuck with that theme. They currently only offer Black, Red, Yellow and Blue. There may be others I am unaware of.

I like the final appearance and the price, that would be great for anyone. I still have some VHT caliper spray paint in a medium gold color. I'll try that first on some old GTO calipers I have from the 2004 era. I'm thinking black letters on that would be good.

Looks great. I would love to do this on mine, but lack the jack & jack stands to remove the wheels.

Rears done.

Definitely a lot more rust on these calipers which are original 130k but still good. I hit them with a 2" roloc sanding disc on a 24v Kobalt die grinder. I use a small electric grinder for tight areas. These may need another coat as I was rushing.

Also.. Since I'm on the POR15 train, I bought a small 4 oz can of gloss black undercoating. The real nasty paint over rust stuff. The rear subframe on the X has met its match against winter salt and I am gonna try to make it look brand new. Rust is fun.

@mguy13sport how is the color holding up. I’m looking at mine now and pondering black.

Black paint ordered. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Might have to do some on the center of the rotors. I know I said in another thread that they have held up but after a year they don’t look so good.

I’m in NE too.

Its all in the prep. I spent more on sanding discs than paint. A good die grinder to get into the tight areas helps. It will hold up good if its applied to clean surfaces

I'd like to know if any of that paint can be mixed to change the color easily. I like the G2 paint, but it's among the highest too.

I wouldn't mix the POR with other colors. The G2 paint has good reviews but their kits are like $60-70. This blue POR paint was $17 on Amazon and I still have some left.

Yes I like the Eastwood price much better. The G2 has a gold color that I like a lot, unfortunately the POR has very limited color choices. I'm thinking of buying the black, and gold, then adding just a bit of black to the gold, to make it a hair darker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do the PowerStops look?

I painted a set of front PS rotors. Have not installed yet.

I tested the black Por 15 on my rear calipers. It looks pretty good. But the rotors look like crap.

Back