Painting Center console

Alexdeluca

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer xlt
Hey
Ive been wanting to paint my center console and radio bezzel for a while now. Ive been watching videos and searching the forum but i keep putting it off because im afraid that my lack of painting skills it wont turn out right. I was wondering if any body had any tips to give me. What kind of paint, primer, and clearcoat to use? How to do it/ How to sand it? or anything else? also if anybody who reads this has painted theirs i would appreciate it if you told me how you did it some pictures would be nice to

P.S. I was trying to go ford a glossy blue. Same color blue as the ford logo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

before you start anything, wipe it down with some de greaser. you dont know how many times it has been armor all'd. then, use a red scotch brite pad (the radio bezel might be tricky if it has the black rubber finish on it). some, or most people will say NO at this next thing, but if you have some paint thinner, or gun wash (automotive stuff) give everything a fast wipe with that (did it with mine, 2 years later even the arm rest is still holding up), and paint. dont do one heavy coats, do 2 or 3 light coats and you should be fine.

before you start anything, wipe it down with some de greaser. you dont know how many times it has been armor all'd. then, use a red scotch brite pad (the radio bezel might be tricky if it has the black rubber finish on it). some, or most people will say NO at this next thing, but if you have some paint thinner, or gun wash (automotive stuff) give everything a fast wipe with that (did it with mine, 2 years later even the arm rest is still holding up), and paint. dont do one heavy coats, do 2 or 3 light coats and you should be fine.

Ok sweet. What about primer or clear coat? And how do I get a shiny finish?

Clear coat, if done properly can help with the shiny finish (buy gloss paint, by the way). You might want to practice though with the clear coat. Buy a gloss finish clear would be best. I used a normal clear coat (it didn't say anything special on it) when I did my tail lights black, and they turned out to be a dull black, almost dusty looking, and it's because of how I applied the clear coat. Not sure what I did wrong, but I got better at it, and when I did my front turn signals a few months later, those turned out nice and glossy, and I used the same exact stuff. So yeah, practice first, then try it. Clear will help protect the color from scratches. And primer never hurts. Get some clear "adhesion promoter" and that'll help.

Ok sweet. What about primer or clear coat? And how do I get a shiny finish?

Will you be using a gun or spray cans? I'm assuming spray cans. For a shine you want to use gloss paint.

dont do one heavy coats, do 2 or 3 light coats and you should be fine.

I strongly agree with this. It will easily cause runs. Like bad ones. Which then make you very sad.

for paint, i am not sure what kind of places you have near you. i would call a autobody supply store and see what they have. i used a product called sem on mine, but it was more of a dye then paint. also, they have colors that can match a factory interior to a tee.

Back