Painting chrome around fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting chrome around fog lights

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Has anyone painted the chrome area around the stock fog lights on a 99?

What color? Did you paint to match the black/gray of the bumper or the body color?

Thanks….

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its the same type of chrome thats on the old 94's grills or bumpers it can't be painted. Well it can it will just flake off. Been there seen it done. Chrome is just to hard to get paint to stick to. Without rubbing some rocks over it for a while anyway.

cant you take them off?

Yes, the chrome on the 99+ bumper is just a plastic shield over the plastic bumper. If I were you and I wanted a truly professional job though, I would replace my entire bumper with one off a Limited, primed and ready to paint, then you can paint it whatever you want.

aldive would you sell the chrome surrounds to me? i'd be interested in them

If your bumper wasnt designed to have the chrome surrounds put on, then they wont work.

I.E if your bumper is a Sport or Limited bumper you're outta luck there.

well, it has like a ridge, like a spot where it is recessed where it looks like the chrome surround would go

Help, where in the catalog is that? I want to contact them about it. That's what I plan to do . just don't know how.

Thanks....

Originally posted by Okrazie1
Look in the catalog for the x-spec bumper panel (it's on page 7 of the catalog I have, which I think is the latest one).

Found it, thanks so much.

Does anyone know how to remove these chrome thingies?

there should be a few screws towards the bottom underneath

I sent an e mail to Explorer Express about painteing the chrome parts, here is their reply:

>>Hello Captain,

The body shop that we use applies a chrome etching primer, then paints the
bumper with the normal 2 stage method. When applied properly the paint sticks
great. Check with some local body shops.

Dave Vanek
Explorer Express<<

Has anyone done this?

Back