Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Silver/Steel

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Not At All

• Other?

• Total voters
Update. I painted my rims a few days ago. I'd post an image but I'm not an Elite member currently so it'll wait. I used Metallic Aluminum from Rustoleum and I think they came out fairly nice. There was no chrome cover over mine and it only took two cans so I'm happy with my investment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update with pictures this time. Note. My chrome face plates were removed before I purchased the vehicle. That's why they looked the way they did lol.

http://i.imgur.com/NcdQxYt.jpg

What they should look like.

http://i.imgur.com/ytGkRl8.jpg

What they did look like.

http://i.imgur.com/QbIC47P.jpg

Center cap comparison. I used three coats of automotive white primer and three coats of Rustoleum Metallic Aluminum for the color coat. I tested a metallic chrome paint, but I felt like it'd come out cheesy and bad looking. I'm pretty happy with the final results which are
http://i.imgur.com/Vqgu3cO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1GzDrGQ.jpg

I think the next thing I'll tackle is touching up my front and rear bumper plastic with black trim paint, seems like everyone likes black better than the grey, opinions? Might be better of using bed liner though. I'd also like to touch up around the windows and my wiper arms which I would use trim paint for. Anyways, in the future I'll be looking for some soft 8s or "wagon wheels".

It looks a lot better. Wheels really change the personality of a vehicle. Your explorer is an XLS? It should be the base model. You probably have manual windows and stuff too? Clear glass and steel wheels are unusual, especially in 2nd gens.

I've always liked steel painted wheels. I have an Areostar which is getting body colored wheels and trim rings. It's a unique look. I like different.

I think it's just a base XL. Crank windows, manual locks. Basic everything except for the 5RR5E and leather seats. And it's got a centersole I can't find anywhere else. 2 cup holders front and 2 in back. And it's open on front and back (about 40 percent front 60 percent back). When I bought it they had it wired for an amp/sub, a CB, and a Quartz Hour meter.

Nice looking truck!

Just an idea: you could print a photo of your rig, and add colors to your rims. Personally, I like the black with chrome center caps. Clean and scuff rims, then use good aluminum/metal primer. This should work very nicely.

Good luck with your project.

image.jpeg

Thanks Alligator. I like the way she looks so far. I'd like to get a brush guard like yours though! I can only find the Chinese ones for like 200 something or Black Horse ones for around 300. I might eventually have custom bumpers made. Or just buy a brush guard for a small frame truck and cut the head light guards off. I already painted my rims that plain grey color, but I didn't think about using photoshop to test colors out. I like them as is, but eventually I'll buy some silver/chrome wagon wheels and get 31s. It'll all be slowly assembled lol. My Explorer Wish List is a bit lengthy right now haha.

Here's a renewal to ask another cosmetic opinion. I've been thinking about trying to clean up my engine bay recently, and was trying to think of a good color to paint my valve covers and maybe intake plenum (I want to get a Gen 1 Aluminum Plenum). Do you guys think I should paint them? What else should I paint? (I'm not pulling the engine so painting the block is out lol) I plan to touch up my wiper arms and trim to a nice black color so that's already on the list.
YWA2Kn3.jpg

Newest picture. If she was black I'd paint the engine anodized purple, I've been thinking "Competition Ford Blue" or maybe an anodized blue but then again I feel like it'll be bright and kinda tacky unlike black (but black will hide oil and other things I'd rather notice). So. Engine bay color thoughts? Also I've been thinking about getting new rims like the double-five spoke rims from Gen 3s which might look good. Gotta make sure the lady looks good, right?

So the other day I went and bought paint. Got Semi Gloss Black to do my hood cowl and wiper arms and Rustoleum Bed Liner for my bumpers and trim. I decided on Old Ford Blue as I think it'll compliment my X well and not be to over powering or flashy.
DPzr97N.jpg

Went ahead and tested it on my reservoir caps and I think it looks fairly good.
2RMU4fw.jpg
(Sad little run) Now just to decide what all to paint. If I keep the plastic plenum I'm thinking I'll just do valve covers and the intake manifold. I don't want to dig down any further. I also bought some Very High Temp paint for my exhaust manifolds but I'm a little weary on removing them since a broken bolt could mean pulling the heads. Might buy JBA short headers in the future so I could hold off on that and just paint the exhaust tip to freshen her up.

Back