Painting stock fender flares | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting stock fender flares

I just bought OE fender flares for an 00' yukon - has anyone ever had fender flares painted to match their vehicle color? I want to see what a price estimate may be... also, should they be installed before painted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would do the install AFTER painting, but test fit them first, drill the mounting holes etc. Can't return painted items.
QUESTION: Are they clear? If so, paint the inside, not the outside. It'll last a lot longer that way.

I've painted the flares that are on mine. I had some factory ones that hooked into the side skirt things, but I took those off and put on some stockers from a Navajo, so I'd have flares, but not the lower skirt. I just sprayed it with some Satin black Rustoleum (that's how most of the truck is painted, minus the body itself) so that I could touch it up if needed and so I could pull them off every once in a while to paint them if they had some battle scars. Sure enough, they've got some pretty nice scrapes in them (dang forest :p).

Like CaptainObvious said, I'd test fit them, paint them, and then install them.

What would someone pay to have fender flares professionally installed and painted?

A quality job will cost a lot :(

At least $500.00 to paint all four off the vehicle.

what about painting the stock large fender flares on the 2000. i was planning on taping them off, then priming, then spraying with some black high gloss spray paint, then a clear rustoleom enamel for protection. any opinions?

dont tape them off
they remove easily enough.

I have just painted the 99-01 flares, etc. There are ten main parts, plus the two tiny corners, and the center hatch trim piece. That doesn't include the four running board parts. They can take a while to remove also. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread044.JPG
    Projectthread044.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Projectthread049.JPG
    Projectthread049.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 358

how much did that cost you?

We also painted a couple of other small parts, plus the hood. That all took a full quart of paint, a single stage urethane. The labor for the paint prep was easily four hours just for the flares, etc. People underestimate how much tedious sanding there is to do. I don't have much respect for some peoples idea of prep; scrubbing with paint thinner, and done.

BTW mine was for a work vehicle, so perfection wasn't the goal for me. Many smalls scuffs exist in the plastic, I sanded them hard with 220 wet sanding first. Choose base/clear if you can, clear is far easier to finish after cured. Regards,

Back