Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Well, today I finally figured out why after putting the 5.5" lift on, my parking brake cable was so horrible to deal with (no slack when installing, and tons of slack once back on the ground.)

Well, to make matters short, it was no longer auto-adjusting!

Several years ago, I had the parking brake recall performed on this truck (you know, you put your foot on the brake, and it goes straight to the floor.. and next time, it doesn't do it.). Well, the fix for that is a plastic wedge that jam into the parking brake, that goes on the auto-adjustor, disabling it. That's right, once this recall is performed, you no longer have an auto-adjustable parking brake. You can however, still adjust it, but you have to do it by hand!

The clue was the hayne's manual. It says to pull on the brake, and pin the cog wheel to maintain slack. Well, in looking at my parking brake today, I noticed the wedge installed to stop that. I removed that wedge, and BINGO! the parking brake adjusted and tightened up! So, I reset the cable, re-installed the wedge in the new position, and I now have back my parking brake. Yea!

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

Back