Towed with parking brake on | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towed with parking brake on

I always use the parking brake on the ramp. Not only because you may or may not have enough force to bust a pinion, but just because you might. Holding a 3,800 lb. SUV on an incline isn't exactly easy for any pinion. I also did the same thing with my work truck when loading skidsteers onto the trailer. I guess "Why chance it" is my argument...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The parking brake is not very strong, it should be in new condition and adjusted regularly.

These Explorers weigh very near 4500 pounds.

It REALLY Burns my Toasties that FORD puts a DAMN BRIGHT YELLOW light for the Check Engine, but a small RED DIM light for the E-Brake!!!! How Frigging STUPID!!!! I have driven with my E- Brake on several times....They should have a BRIGHT LIGHT and a Ding tone to remind us..... Idiot Engineers!!!!

It REALLY Burns my Toasties that FORD puts a DAMN BRIGHT YELLOW light for the Check Engine, but a small RED DIM light for the E-Brake!!!! How Frigging STUPID!!!! I have driven with my E- Brake on several times....They should have a BRIGHT LIGHT and a Ding tone to remind us..... Idiot Engineers!!!!

The entire mechanism sucks and can be very difficult to get just right. If they are not used in places with salty roads count on the entire drum mechanism corrodes and seizes at every possible contact point. They are not self adjusting and are very sensitive to shoe adjustment.

I also think the quality of of the shoe matters. One you glaze those shoes from driving with them applied they are probably toast. If you didn't use the brakes in ages and decide to use them they may not release.

I got premium Bendix brake shoes and they hold the truck fine accelerated at 1500 RPM. They are rated FF for friction. I did my own test, bought the both the cheapie and Bendix shoe, put it face down on the inside of the box and pulled it with a string. The box rested on smooth concrete. The cheapie slipped and the box barely moved and the bendix slipped a bit but was able to pull the box with no problem. The brake performs great now.

Make sure to change the springs and hardware too when you do this job, smooth out all contact points, and lube up with synthetic caliper grease.

I actually found out it is possible to adjust the parking brake. It requires removing the rotor, and then turning a torx bit. At least that's what the brake guy said he did the last time I had my brakes done.

I actually found out it is possible to adjust the parking brake. It requires removing the rotor, and then turning a torx bit. At least that's what the brake guy said he did the last time I had my brakes done.

Torx bit? No way. There is an adjusting wheel when your remove the cover on the backing plate. Just use a screwdriver and adjust it to the point where your rear wheels aren't held by the shoes. The other way is to measure your drum and adjust the shoes a fraction of a mm less....

The guy's full of it... If that's what he claims he did, run, don't walk away from that shop. They didn't touch it.

It does not require removing the rotor at all, unless parts need to be replaced (say, for example, if the adjuster was rusted and siezed).

As everyone already mentioned, the parking brake is basically a small drum brake surrounded by a rotor.

-Joe

The guy's full of it... If that's what he claims he did, run, don't walk away from that shop. They didn't touch it.

It does not require removing the rotor at all, unless parts need to be replaced (say, for example, if the adjuster was rusted and siezed).

As everyone already mentioned, the parking brake is basically a small drum brake surrounded by a rotor.

-Joe

Right but, there is no auto adjustment. So you'd have to do something to move the pads closer to the rotor surely.

Right but, there is no auto adjustment. So you'd have to do something to move the pads closer to the rotor surely.

Yuppers! Forgot to mention that... They are manually adjusted and it can be done through the rubber plug in the backing plate without removing the wheel or rotor.

-Joe

just wondered it seems like you have an auto transmission ? my lincoln town car if you shift into drive it pops the e-brk for you. im just surprised that a mid to late 90"z x donest do this also ?

just wondered it seems like you have an auto transmission ? my lincoln town car if you shift into drive it pops the e-brk for you. im just surprised that a mid to late 90"z x donest do this also ?

I've always wondered why this isn't more common. If I remember correctly, Cadillacs do the same thing.

Back