• Register Today It's free!

Towed with parking brake on

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
The other day when driving back from the lake towing a boat I must have forgotten to disengage the parking brake when coming off the ramp. So I towed the boat all the way home (maybe 5 miles) with the parking brake on. I was surprised I didn't notice the light, but when I got home I definitely noticed the smell. Well now the parking brake isn't really holding much. It will hold the truck by itself if I push the brake pedal ALL the way down, but it won't hold the truck and the boat anymore.

What exactly needs to be replaced? It a 97, so the parking brake is separate from the disc brakes. But does the parking brake just use a normal pad? Is it as simple as pulling the old pad off and putting a new one on?

I may also just take it in to a Merchants (local do everything mechanic), but I want to make sure they don't tell me the whole thing is seized up and charge me oodles of money to replace everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are brake shoes (just for the E-Brake) besides the pads which probaby wore out. maybe they will self adjust. Im not sure how they self adjust. Maybe reverse then brake? Thats how some of the older brake shoes would self adjust.

they are not self adjusting but can be adjusted.... lots of posts on the replacement there of ... even some with pictures. Its not an easy job and not a tough job.

they are not self adjusting but can be adjusted.... lots of posts on the replacement there of ... even some with pictures. Its not an easy job and not a tough job.

Then you should be able to take off the wheel and turn the adjuster manually. Im not sure if you can see it with the rotor on. Most of the time when you remove the rotor though, the shoes fall apart, and you will need to replace them anyway.

Then you should be able to take off the wheel and turn the adjuster manually. Im not sure if you can see it with the rotor on. Most of the time when you remove the rotor though, the shoes fall apart, and you will need to replace them anyway.

What exactly does adjusting do? Move the shoe closer to the disc? And is a shoe just a pad for a parking brake? Or is it some what different.

Thanks.

Your e-brake "shoes" are just a smaller non hydrolic version of drum brakes. Yes when you adjust, the shoes do move closer to the inside of the rotor which is your e-brake drum. I still never found the adjuster. Replaceing the shoes is not that bad of a job, if you have done drum brakes it will be piece of cake. Hanes Manuel has a complete how to in it along with the repair guide on the Autozone website.

Its not an easy job and not a tough job.

Its an annoying job

I had to do mine in the parking lot the morning that I was leaving to move to Colorado b/c with the trailer it wouldn't hold at all.

I ended up pullling the wheels, calipers and rotors so I could figure out why my adjusters were stuck.

What exactly does adjusting do? Move the shoe closer to the disc? And is a shoe just a pad for a parking brake? Or is it some what different.

Thanks.

Yes It just moves the shoes closer to the drum (drum is the inside of your rotor like mentioned before).

i'm sorry to be the one a-hole here, but HAHAHA. just kidding man. i did the same thing when i got my van, but way worse. it's an 88 dodge with the 5.9, and i drove halfway across orange county, on the phone with my wife telling her that the damn thing had no power for a v-8!

i did Top Of the World trail (Moab) in Low range in my BII one year, got to the top and said whats that smell?

I replaced those shoes in my 97 8.8 axle then I did it AGAIN!! (different trail)

I have since fixed the e brake switch so the light works and I have not done it since.

If your e brake is still holding with the pedal all the way down, try adjusting them first and see if you can get more life from them

410, was that with the 5.0? or was it a four banger?

The linings(drum brake) are only about $20. It would be wise to remove the rear rotors to see the condition of those linings. Replace them if they are too bad, tighten the adjustment if they are okay.

You should periodically adjust the parking brakes, about as often as you rotate tires or inspect brakes. Good luck,

I never had a 4 banger :)

it was with the 4.0L OHV
the problem was the oem 1988 e brake switch had broken plastic and would only work sometimes, so my dash light for the BRAKE was not on when the pedal was depressed...

I did it AGAIN with the V8, I am on my 3rd set of shoes for the 8.8 in my BII :) $18 at Napa I believe.....

Mine were completely gone three years ago when I replaced my rear brakes. I also had to replace a couple of wheel studs and took the shoes and all the hardware off & never replaced them.

I never used the E-brake and the design is worthless as t!ts on bore hog.

I do need my parking brake if I'm pulling a boat onto a trailer at a dock right? I'm assuming that having it just in Park would be a bad idea, right?

Duke, Given that the ebrake pads are thin, I would replace them after that drive. It is fairly straight forward and about an hour your first time.

I do need my parking brake if I'm pulling a boat onto a trailer at a dock right? I'm assuming that having it just in Park would be a bad idea, right?

Yea, I would use the E-brake for sure.

Well I was thinking, when putting a boat in and out of the water, all the weight of the boat isn't actually on the truck. The boat will be buoyant, so really the truck is only holding the weight trailer. Plus, how much does it really take to break the pinion that holds the gears in Park? I'll certainly get it fixed, but after giving it some thought, I don't think it's as huge of a deal as I thought it was.

Hey Dan W., do you think your e-brake set up is the same as on my 99' Sport. If it is, I would be more than willing to take the drivers side "Parking Brake Lever" off your hands so it doesnt clutter up your garage:) Mine is frozen open. Iv been hittin it with PB Blaster for a while now every now and then but no go. Ford wants a rediculous amount for this part. Let me know, Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this once, drove a good 20 miles or so with speeding.. I'm not sure they even worked in the first place.. I felt no difference at all.. That was about 5 months ago or something.. I just don't use it..

Back