Adjust parking brake on 2001 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adjust parking brake on 2001 sport

Josef86

Reaction score
City, State
Merrimack, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have a 2001 explorer sport and the parking brake is kind of week. It was informed that I may be able to adjust it. I don't know to much about parking brakes, but it would seem that the cables go to the bake wheels. I have disc brakes all around.

The few things I could find only talked about adjust parking brakes for drum brakes, and those where not so good write ups.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a starwheel adjuster behind the rear brake rotors that adjusts the tension of the parking brake shoes. Remove the rotors to access it. Turn it with a screwdriver while testing until you get it to rub the rotor. Then back it off a few clicks and you're good to go!

It's #4 in this diagram:
p-brake.jpg

There is a starwheel adjuster behind the rear brake rotors that adjusts the tension of the parking brake shoes. Remove the rotors to access it. Turn it with a screwdriver while testing until you get it to rub the rotor. Then back it off a few clicks and you're good to go!

Uh not to be picky, but if you remove the rotor. You then can't adjust the starwheel till it rubs the rotor. Right?

Right...but you can slide it back on for a second and give it a spin.

If you want to be real picky, there is an access hole at the bottom of the metal shield plate on the back side of each brake. The starwheel adjuster can be turned with a flat-blade screwdriver through this hole. Simply remove the rubber stopper to expose the opening.

I have not had a chance to take off the rotors yet. But its possible the shoes for the parking brake are out. I may be able to get to the rotors tomorrow, if they still look good I will try this adjustment.

Just make sure you adjust them so they rub then back it off a bit. You want no rubbing at all.

You do not have to remove the rotors!

Look on the back side of the brake, there is a rubber plug you can pull out. Adjust it with a flathead.

You do not have to remove the rotors!

Look on the back side of the brake, there is a rubber plug you can pull out. Adjust it with a flathead.

Yeah....uh....

If you want to be real picky, there is an access hole at the bottom of the metal shield plate on the back side of each brake. The starwheel adjuster can be turned with a flat-blade screwdriver through this hole. Simply remove the rubber stopper to expose the opening.

Thank you for this post, My parking brake stopped working a few weeks ago

Back