• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake Shoe Question....

gruett84

Reaction score
City, State
Fond du Lac
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT V8
I've read through a lot of threads talking about replacing front and rear brakes and got a lot of good information. But I believe I have something that has not been brought up yet.
I replaced the brakes on my '06 Explorer. I took the rear rotors off (were tight from rust and wear) and put the new rotors on and new pads on. I didn"t replace the brake shoes because they were in very good shape. I went for a drive and heard a rubbing sound from the rear brake. I removed the rotor to see the brake shoe was rubbing in the drum, but I also noticed that one of the shoes were pushing out away from the dust shield. I felt behind the dust shield where the retaining pin goes through and it feels like the pin dimpled in the dust shield in towards the brake shoe. This is why the pin and clip are loose.
So now can I remove the dust shield and flatten out the spot where the pin started to pull through, or do I need to buy a new shield?

You can give it a try, but it may pull inward again since the metal has been weakened.

I also did not change my rear e-brake shoes when doing my rear brakes (see link in signature for pictures of the replacement). I had bought the the shoes but couldn't get the old ones off... didn't want to risk damaging something.

Could you take pictures of the pin you are dealing with so we can all better understand it?

Back