Made an Auto Repair Tech Miserable Today- Parking Brake Shoe and Hardware Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Made an Auto Repair Tech Miserable Today- Parking Brake Shoe and Hardware Replacement

They overheat much more quickly and just go on holiday if they get wet.

I've never had an issue overheating my drums although yes drums do hold heat much longer in reality. But in fact I've faded many disk brakes in my day but haven't faded these drums. I do love how cheap drum brakes are to build too. Far as water, this is a vehicle that never see's rain so that's a non issue for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never had an issue overheating my drums although yes drums do hold heat much longer in reality.

I had a '68 Valiant with power drums all around, good brakes.
They faded on me on a mountain road once, scary stuff.

30 some years ago a friend and I stopped by a professional hot rod shop where the owner was building a car for himself. As I recall it was a '65 Falcon with a 427 big block and a straight axle. My friend questioned the use of drum brakes all around. The owner/builder said, "It makes stopping more exciting."

30 some years ago a friend and I stopped by a professional hot rod shop where the owner was building a car for himself. As I recall it was a '65 Falcon with a 427 big block and a straight axle. My friend questioned the use of drum brakes all around. The owner/builder said, "It makes stopping more exciting."

LOL! ..

That and hotrods usually only see "fair weather" use.
Not to mention they are usually associated with going fast from zero and stopping is just a necessity as long as it does stop. I'd rather see some nice big slotted/drilled discs on a hotrod rather than some huge donkey drums.

Lets not forget the weight that drums put farther out from the center point of your rotation.

I don't think the drums look bad at all. My car has the drums paint matched to the color of the car, looks pretty neat actually. I've also faded the ever living hell out of disk brakes too so they're not immune by any stretch of the imagination.

LOL! ..

That and hotrods usually only see "fair weather" use.
Not to mention they are usually associated with going fast from zero and stopping is just a necessity as long as it does stop. I'd rather see some nice big slotted/drilled discs on a hotrod rather than some huge donkey drums.

Lets not forget the weight that drums put farther out from the center point of your rotation.

Last time I looked (more than 20 years ago) if the hotrod had a beam axle on the front you couldn't use discs.
I don't know why
That's just in my state.

In some "civilized" states (like VA), they do a "technical" inspection of the car. You can't pass without parking brake.

My Explorer came from rust belt (last time I ever do the mistake to buy a bargain from there), I of course the parking brake was seized.
I took it to PepBoys, and they, after two tries (as in took the truck and went back because they weren't working) gave my money back and shoo me out the door.
I went to the dealer and took them two days to make it work. Still, not great, but since then (6 years ago), it passes the inspection.

Yep, I know when I have to leave it to the professionals :)

I came up with many new swear words when I finally unseized mine in my truck. I found many more new swear words once I found they still didn't work when I was done due to a cable bracket that was broken, and was a part of the rear end...

Back