Parking brake woes

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
So my parking brake hasn't worked since I got my X, which is no big deal because I never use it. However, it is required to pass inspection.

So I take it to pep boys to get inspected, they tell me the 2 rear parking brake lines are seized, and the shoes are down to the metal. Awesome. So I get the parking brake hardware kit and the 2 brake lines from autozone, and the parking shoes from pep boys and drop the X off to have them installed.

After 6 hours I get a call back saying that apparently the left brake line isnt the right one (although he did confirm it was the same as the picture they have) and that they have to take off the whole rear hub assembly to get the shoes off and they need some special tool to do so.

Any of this make sense to any of you guys? I've never had an issue with a parking brake before so this is new to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my parking brake hasn't worked since I got my X, which is no big deal because I never use it. However, it is required to pass inspection.

So I take it to pep boys to get inspected, they tell me the 2 rear parking brake lines are seized, and the shoes are down to the metal. Awesome. So I get the parking brake hardware kit and the 2 brake lines from autozone, and the parking shoes from pep boys and drop the X off to have them installed.

After 6 hours I get a call back saying that apparently the left brake line isnt the right one (although he did confirm it was the same as the picture they have) and that they have to take off the whole rear hub assembly to get the shoes off and they need some special tool to do so.

Any of this make sense to any of you guys? I've never had an issue with a parking brake before so this is new to me.
Special tool to remove the rear hub? On my 96, it is easier to pull the rear axles to change the parking brake shoes. Some say it can be done without pulling the axles, but I pulled mine since the gear oil need changing anyway. Another reason I do not trust shops to do my mechanic work.

First of all, I would not trust pepboys to change my washerfluid - so buyer beware there.

You can definitely take the shoes off without taking out the axles, I've done it a few times. I would say two hours MAX for this job. If the tech can't figure out how to do it out get the truck out of there. If they pull the axles you are probably going to pay a few hundred in labor. They can be put back carelessly and ruin the old axle seals (probably a good idea to install new seals and bearings if they are going that far).

You just remove as many springs from the shoes as you can and wrangle them out(same story going in). As for aftermarket parking brake cables, most are total junk and the best place to buy them is NAPA with a lifetime warranty (I've used it a few times).

Not only that, but the levers have to be cleaned of rust and covered with brake lubricant, or you will be doing this again next year.

First of all, I would not trust pepboys to change my washerfluid - so buyer beware there.

You can definitely take the shoes off without taking out the axles, I've done it a few times. I would say two hours MAX for this job. If the tech can't figure out how to do it out get the truck out of there. If they pull the axles you are probably going to pay a few hundred in labor. They can be put back carelessly and ruin the old axle seals (probably a good idea to install new seals and bearings if they are going that far).

You just remove as many springs from the shoes as you can and wrangle them out(same story going in). As for aftermarket parking brake cables, most are total junk and the best place to buy them is NAPA with a lifetime warranty (I've used it a few times).

Not only that, but the levers have to be cleaned of rust and covered with brake lubricant, or you will be doing this again next year.

This is pretty much what I thought. I've used Pep Boys to do basic maintenance (plugs/wires, filters, oil change, front hub assembly) and they've been surprisingly good. With that being said, I don't think I'll be using them too much moving forward unless I have to (their hours are WAY better for my schedule then other local shops).

I think I'm just going to get the car inspected elsewhere and deal with the parking brake at a later date. I've owned the Explorer since January of last year and haven't used the e-brake once.

This is pretty much what I thought. I've used Pep Boys to do basic maintenance (plugs/wires, filters, oil change, front hub assembly) and they've been surprisingly good. With that being said, I don't think I'll be using them too much moving forward unless I have to (their hours are WAY better for my schedule then other local shops).

I think I'm just going to get the car inspected elsewhere and deal with the parking brake at a later date. I've owned the Explorer since January of last year and haven't used the e-brake once.

Sounds like a good idea. If you want to do it ask around and get a flat rate for the job. Pep boys is not great for major repairs, it is the luck of the draw who you get for a tech.
If you plan on keeping the truck a few years and you need the parking brake functional I would suggest getting original Ford brake brake cables. Tasca Ford has them, the part may be obsolete. I believe you can get the set for under $100. Next best is NAPA with a lifetime warranty(All aftermarket are the same China junk). Then again they are pretty cheap so its not the end of the world to replace them(unless there is labor involved). When parking brakes never get used they deteriorate, so if they are repaired you should use it from time to time. The junky cables though do break. The last one I had split where it hooks on the lever.

If you goto a place like jiffy lube or Valvoline up here they make a big deal about the parking brake when you get an inspection. They will try to do burnouts at 1500 RPM(even higher for what I heard) and fail you if the car even moves. The state rule is the "car should stay stationary under slightly accelerated speed," which to a real tech means touching the gas when you put it in drive.

Sounds like a good idea. If you want to do it ask around and get a flat rate for the job. Pep boys is not great for major repairs, it is the luck of the draw who you get for a tech.
If you plan on keeping the truck a few years and you need the parking brake functional I would suggest getting original Ford brake brake cables. Tasca Ford has them, the part may be obsolete. I believe you can get the set for under $100. Next best is NAPA with a lifetime warranty(All aftermarket are the same China junk). Then again they are pretty cheap so its not the end of the world to replace them(unless there is labor involved). When parking brakes never get used they deteriorate, so if they are repaired you should use it from time to time. The junky cables though do break. The last one I had split where it hooks on the lever.

If you goto a place like jiffy lube or Valvoline up here they make a big deal about the parking brake when you get an inspection. They will try to do burnouts at 1500 RPM(even higher for what I heard) and fail you if the car even moves. The state rule is the "car should stay stationary under slightly accelerated speed," which to a real tech means touching the gas when you put it in drive.

Yeah I think when I do get it fixed I'm going to go with ford parts.

Pep boys does the 1500rpm bullshit. My friend's mechanic will pass me as long as i have meat on my brake pads and tread on my tires. I used him to pass my '97 mounty 2 years ago. Problem is he is far and only open normal business hours so i was trying to avoid using him this time.

Those brakes never worked right, not even on new vehicle.
I had the same experience - PepBoys couldn't fix my parking brakes. I took it to Ford delership and they replace everything (rust).
After that, it barely works - enough to pass inspection I guess, but if I forget the brake on at some point, I am sure the pads will be toasted.

I replaced my e-brake shoes about a year ago. I did it w/o removing the axles - as I remember the key tool was a set of vise-grips with a long, thin nose to get in behind the hub. Would be much easier with the axles removed, but not impossible with them in place. Georgia truck, so do not have the rust issues y'all deal with up North. I am appalled at some of the underside pictures I have seen on this site!!

I didn't do it on mine because I saw a block of rust instead of the adjuster mechanism.
Now I know not to buy a Michigan registered vehicle...

SoNic67 said:
I didn't do it on mine because I saw a block of rust instead of the adjuster mechanism.
Now I know not to buy a Michigan registered vehicle...

Lol mine werent rusted just down to metal.

Anyway, got it inspected :)

Glad, I am not the only person with problems with the parking brake, but here in IL we only have a emissions test, and not a vehicle inspection. Which I really don't like one bit, A LOT of the cars on the road should be junked, saw a civic the other day where I could see the back side of the interior door panel through huge amount of rust in the drivers door.

problem with mine is that the mount on the passenger side that is cast iron that holds the parking brake cable is cracked, and it ALWAYS applys the brake. But since it is so worn down now it really does not effect it, but this is a small problem on my huge to do list.

Back