95 4wd - are there only 2 parking brake shoes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 4wd - are there only 2 parking brake shoes?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Looking to replace my parking brake shoes. I thought there was 1 shoe on each wheel, but it seems like there are only shoes for the 2 rear wheels, is that right?

So I just need to buy 2 of the rear shoes and I can take it to my mechanic and i'll be golden?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yours/ours takes FOUR PARKING BRAKE shoes total....two on each side of rear axle.
Duralast part # 701

Yes just the rear wheels. I have only done that job when I had the axles shafts out.

Yes just the rear wheels. I have only done that job when I had the axles shafts out.
It was possible to do it with the axles in, but I wouldn't want to do it again. I've old enough to have had quite a bit experience doing drum brakes before disc brakes came along.

It was possible to do it with the axles in, but I wouldn't want to do it again. I've old enough to have had quite a bit experience doing drum brakes before disc brakes came along.
Yes, I did it like that two time. It slow going, working with the axle in the way. Similar as you do drums

Yes, I did it like that two time. It slow going, working with the axle in the way. Similar as you do drums
Just remember, note make sure you release the tension on the brake cable before you try to get the rotor off! I stick a drill into hole on emergency brake pedal as I pull on the cable with my right hand.

Back