• Register Today It's free!

parts needed

axle4x4

Reaction score
City, State
co,durham
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer limited
hello folks i need a timing chain kit has enybody orded parts from Rockauto if so could you please tell me if you had to pay import duty and how long the parts took to deliver much apreciated thanks in advance.:yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never had to pay any import costs, probably due to them adding the VAT when you checkout :) I've had stuff delivered in a couple of days or so

Hi there
Assume this is the kit you are looking for.

Along with this kit you will also need to replace
harmonic balancer bolt
rear cassette bolt
rear cassette bolt cover
Timing cover gasket set
upper sump gasket
lower sump gasket
upper intake manifold o rings
lower intake manifold o rings

May as well change the t stat while you have easy access

May as well get these from rock at the same time.
You will also need the otc-6488 tool set to set the timing and a deep well 27mm socket for the front cam chain tensioner. T30 torx bit for intake screws, T45 (i think though may be 50) for the rear cassette bolt and a torx socket for the front jackshaft bolt (sorry can't remember the size)
I have a pdf of the build up of the sohc engine with all the torque settings etc if you need it
Jan

just thought i'd add 2000StreetRod has some excellent threads on the chains etc, so search for his threads and enjoy

hi janolsson
thanks for the swift reply that is the kit i am talking about didnt realise i needed the extra parts i am hoping that i do not need all the kit as it just started ratling suddenly from the rear chain area i am hoping that the rear tensioner plastic has disintigrated have not took sump of yet. again thanks for the info i will check out 2000streetrods threads.

hi ilikemice
thanks for the quick reply never orded enything from states before.

If it is the rear chain then it is engine out job!!! You will still need the rear jackshaft bolt as this is TTY (torque to yield ie stretch bolt). You can inspect by removing the cam cover tho there isn't must room to see a lot. You may be able to detect a slack on the chain on the inboard side and or see wear on the casstte top mounting bolt (mirror may help).
For the right price i have a rear cassette BNIB that i'm willing to sell, so all you would need is the jack shaft bolt (IIRC about £5 from Ford UK), the bolt cover, oom12 kit (new manifold o ringsand updated front tensioner) and a new rear tensioner.

You would still need the tool kit to get the cam timing spot on tho there are threads in the US section where by people have managed by making up their own tools, specifically the cam holding tool and the chain tensioning tool.

But for my money if the engine is out for the few extra pounds and a bit more work you could replace all the front guides also. So i would buy the kit and all the other stuff and do all the chain gear. That is unless you have a record of the front stuff being done already

Also just to add the upper sump doesn't need to come off unless you are messin with the oil pump, the bearings or replacing the balance shaft chain and tensioner guide.
Again someone on the US side has managed to replace the guide by dismantling the plastic off the old one in situ and just putting the new plastic and spring on.

thanks janolsson
all advice greatly appreciated as you say while the motor is out do the lot in one go. hopefully lol????.

If you need the sohc assembly pdf you can find it here and download it.

if that doesn't work google Jan Olsson's SkyDrive ► Ford Explorer ► SOHC_Engine Assembly.pdf

Back