US to UK Part Numbers! And help Please.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

US to UK Part Numbers! And help Please....

Bubble18-30

Reaction score
City, State
Leeds, Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 V6
Good Evening Guys!

This is our first post on this forum after buying a 1998 Ford Explorer in light blue with the early stages of front end Cam Chain Cassette Meltdown, an obvious air leak in the lower inlet gaskets and none of the upgraded parts that we've read so much about in this forum! Low and behold on inspection the lower inlet gaskets where flat and twisted and on lifting the left rocker cover and peering down the cam chain with an LED torch the outer edge of the front cam cassette has broken away and is floating around above the jackshaft - then again i didn't pay much for it and it's a long term vehicle for keeps!

Part Numbers!

We visited the local ford dealer today and on mentioning "Explorer" he developed a gum sucking victor meldrew attitude......(So My wife in her new wheelchair decided to practice manouvres around the service "waiting area" floor....) These are the parts we require to fix all the probs (The chains / sprockets are in good order)

1) Modified Inlet Kit (Upper & Lower Inlet Gaskets / Oil Restrictor / Front Cam Tensioner Bolt) - OOM12 (US) / 4146343 (UK) £53.95 + VAT

2) Front Cam Chain / Cassette - 7U3Z-6A257-A (US) / 4789435 (UK) £93 + VAT

3) Jackshaft Tensioner & Guide - 2U3Z-6D256-DA (US) / 4403856 & 4345659 (UK) £13.31 & £8.91 + VAT (I DIDN'T MANAGE TO GET THE GASKET NUMBER!)

4) Rocker Gaskets - Left = F77Z-6584-BA, Right = F77Z-6584-AE (US) / 1025310 & 1025170 (UK) £23.77 & £20.76 + VAT

5) Sump gasket (Lower Oil Pan) - 4L2Z-6710-AA (US) / 4639173 (UK) £38.26 + VAT

We hope the above part number translation helps (If We've got any wrong please post the correct ones!) Many Thanks to "ipwizard" who posted the american part numbers on this forum (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229288&highlight=part+numbers+chain

Can i ask for help?

- The total of the above parts came to around £290!! Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge of anyone who imports these parts and/or can get them cheaper?

- Does the Front Cam Chain Tensioner Cassette have to come with the chain? (I don't need it and it'll save me money!)

- Does anyone have the front Jackshaft cover gasket UK Part number (We Forgot....Doh.)

- (I don't have an owners handbook!) I've found the hole for a bar to be inserted to get it connected to the spare wheel winch but the 2 bars that are situated under the seat do not fit into the "trumpet" on the winch and so i cant't turn it, also is the spare wheel secured by any other means or just the winch?

Many Thanks for your help in advance!

Ben, Corinna & "Bump" - Due July 2009.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That price isn't that bad.. Our vendor Fastpartnetwork price on everything is £281 before shipping and VAT & stuff.

"- (I don't have an owners handbook!) I've found the hole for a bar to be inserted to get it connected to the spare wheel winch but the 2 bars that are situated under the seat do not fit into the "trumpet" on the winch and so i cant't turn it, also is the spare wheel secured by any other means or just the winch?"

Mine didnt fit very well either (rounded off ) a good clout inwards did the trick for me ,maybee yours is a bit seized,as mine was

Are you thinking of doing the work yourself, or have you found the labor already? The special tools are required, the link above to eBay shows a good price for it used.

Buy a cheap vehicle shop manual at least, read the section about the timing and chains. You will learn a lot from just that. It has instructions and pictures that will be very helpful to whoever does the work.

You do not need gaskets for the "rockers" valve covers, the OEM part will last forever. You do need the timing cover gasket, what you called jack shaft cover. Buy a new front seal, it goes in the timing cover(crankshaft). You should buy the entire timing chain cassette, use all of those parts. For $65 it's a bargain. Don't forget to buy the rear timing chain tensioner, it's about $30 and very easy to change.

If you have a 4WD SOHC then also buy the balance shaft tensioner and chain. The OEM parts are delicate, change them if needed or possible(note that that chain is timed with the crank).

The parts really are not that expensive compared to an entire engine. The tools are a good portion compared to the parts, but are required. Check with several online sellers for the Ford parts, you should do better by getting them directly rather than at retail where you are.

To be honest about it- If I was you I woul take it to Duncan and have him sort it- he is known here for his fair price and good honest work- you cant go wrong- as you do need special tools to mess with the timing chain and replace the parts you speak of. The inlet manifold gaskits and the front chain tensioner and oil restrictor-00m12 kit come as one and are not bad to to if you are handy with a socket set and have some patience. I have done a few and so has Howard........I would recomend replacing the rear tensioner also as for mine it made the world of differance in that It stopped the start up rattle I had even after I did the front tensioner. These are NOT to be viewed as upgrades- more requirments as they have been better designed to take into account the failings in design from new. It does sound like in your case you will need to have the timing chains off and tensioners, guides etc replaced so get a pro to do that please as Ford never had the sense to put timing marks on our engines and it all has to be locked up with special tools or you face disaster!
Please do not ignore the problem- too many Explorers end up on E bay due to timing belt issues- they are a fantastic vehicle and keepers for sure- the work in total is around a grand I think from Duncan- maybe less...then you will have an Ex that will last a lifetime!

Evening Guys, thankyou for all your replies and advice! The Explorer is a whole lot of car for the money and once I've correct the Ford design errors it'll be a one to keep. I'm going to be doing the work myself (my first Explorer but I've been fixing and servicing my own cars for 13yrs when needed) The kit I'm watching on eBay as we speak. I have the American haynes manual and I have no doubt it will prove invaluable!!! We're running on a budget I'm afraid and it doesn't extend to having a garage change the chains for me, I don't have the equipment to remove the engine so the jackshaft and front Cam chains will be done with the engine still in and the radiator removed to gain access, I'll have to deal with the rear and balancer chains a little further down the road! I'll shell out the £290 and get all the parts needed and change the chains and sprockets also, your right that it would be silly not to fit the parts whilst the engine's in bits!!

Very good, sift through the several threads here about the "timing cassette tensioner" issues. There are lots of pictures and good advice in them. Take your time, and begin with the balancer. That is not as easy to remove as most, some tools don't have the needed bolts etc. Don't force it, just keep looking at it until you see what to do next. Regards,

Brave man!
Thats a job and a half and then some- really think you should hire an engine crane and pull it out to do BOTH front and back at the same time....after all I believe the effect is the same should either side collapse and fall to the bottom!
Good luck with it all mate- please take your time and be sure you know what your doing before you touch it! Takes me back to my youth when I would research in the library before a job on my first car!

Back