Parts Yard Prop Rod - What do you use? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts Yard Prop Rod - What do you use?

I use a piece of rebar for a prop rod in the van. I put it way off to the side so its not in the way like the oem one would be. Its not pretty but it works and was free.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i checked out the price of prop's on RockAuto once. seems like they were only about $6-$7 each. i always find the rods get in my way.

Hey, Koda. Watch out for the shipping on those low prices...
I used the hood prop from an old Heep Cherokee on our 98 Mounty. It mounts on the pass. side innner fender, and uses a metal clip to keep it from flopping around. Looks like a factory install, too.

Hey, Koda. Watch out for the shipping on those low prices...
I used the hood prop from an old Heep Cherokee on our 98 Mounty. It mounts on the pass. side innner fender, and uses a metal clip to keep it from flopping around. Looks like a factory install, too.

oh i know about the shipping costs. if/when i need them i'll include them in a larger parts order, but even with the shipping it still comes out quite a bit cheaper than the local auto parts stores, and no sales tax (at least so far).

Its cool to see what ppl use as props lol. I know the prop rods are in the way, but it beats the struts failing and slammin the hood on your head or arms!
You can see in one of the pics the 2x2 I used just to take the pic haha

Great idea, but not from a Chebby. Wouldn't a stick work better? JK :D

..:scratch:...Has anybody looked into using a 90-97 Ranger prop rod?

..95-97 Rangers are real similar to the second gens (interior etc.) and it's a Ford product you can easily find..I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same holes for mounting..

I'm actually gonna be trying to track down a Ranger, or 1st gen prop rod. Something about the heat out here in Cali that kills those shock things. Mine have never worked on either Explorer that I've owned.

I'm actually gonna be trying to track down a Ranger, or 1st gen prop rod. Something about the heat out here in Cali that kills those shock things. Mine have never worked on either Explorer that I've owned.

If you don't have one by MLK weekend, and assuming I"m going to make the trip, I can bring one with me.. The 94 sport I've been stealing parts from (at the neighbors) still has the prop rod.

~Mark

Back