• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Air Bag Cover

StuartT

Reaction score
City, State
La Conner, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
On a 1998 Explorer, does anyone know how to get the passenger air bag cover off on the dash board. There is a rattle coming from that area but I don't want to damage the cover prying on it incorrectly. Might be hinged for all I know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drop the glove compartment door all the way down by squeezing the sides in , the air bag is bolted in from behind, disconnect the battery and turn the headlights and a few other things off and on and then wait a few minutes before unplugging it, and treat it like a bomb because it will hurt you if it goes off ,

Drop the glove compartment door all the way down by squeezing the sides in , the air bag is bolted in from behind, disconnect the battery and turn the headlights and a few other things off and on and then wait a few minutes before unplugging it, and treat it like a bomb because it will hurt you if it goes off ,

Thanks for the help.

Can't I just take the plastic cover off the front of the dash without removing the bag? That is all I am trying to do.

Thanks for the help.

Can't I just take the plastic cover off the front of the dash without removing the bag? That is all I am trying to do.

No. It's all one piece. It's very east to remove. A few 10mm nuts.

Back