Does Pass. side air bag cover come off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does Pass. side air bag cover come off?

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Im wanting to paint my passenger side air bag cover black. Does anyone know if it comes off or am I going to have to tape off everything inside my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, just remove the glove box by squeezing in on the two tabs, one on each side of the GB, and let it hang dow. Then remove the two bolts above the GB and slide the air bag out. First disconnect the battery and wait about 30 minutes before you disconnect the air bag so theres no chance of it deploying on you.

Ahhhh I need to do this too...im painting my interior black, piece by piece lol...

I hope it doesnt go off lol.

Can I ask what the hell do I do if it does? Lmao...

Run like hell!

lets see some pics!

(But what the hell happens after it goes off? lol....do I have to buy stuff or what?

ok thanks! I got her out and painted and put back in already!

What kind and color of paint diod you use? glossy or flat paint?

If you want to remove the bag completly, you an pull a cover from a 95-96 Ranger. They came with a passanger bag option. So there are dummy covers;)

Wouldnt that make the AirBag light stay on though?

probally has a dummy plug, or it dosn't care

Its like a semi gloss Krylon fusion. I painted the glove box, Air bag, center dash bezel, and the defrost vents for the side windows Ill get some photos up first thing in the morning

Ahhhh I need to do this too...im painting my interior black, piece by piece lol...

I hope it doesnt go off lol.

Can I ask what the hell do I do if it does? Lmao...

The chances of it actually blowing are really slim. Disconect the battery for 20-30 minutes and go for it. You can remove the air bad fuses too if that makes you feel better.

I use that "Dash & Fabric" paint, it looks really nice and glossy, Ive painted a ton of panels so far, along with my cargo carpet LOL

Yeah I saw that in your 1995 xlt thread. Thats more glossy than I wanted it to be though. The Krylon fusion stuff bonds well to plastic and dries in 10 minutes....Thats pretty much the reason I like it so much..I usually get impatient and try putting things back together with the paint not all the way dry and I mess it up. I can stand waiting only 10 mintutes though....

Ok I got your photo's! Im really happy with the way it turned out. It kind of gave it a updated look.:thumbsup:
picture.php

picture.php

Nice job...I like it.:thumbsup:

Good work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, almost like its meant to be that way :p

Back