Passenger side one touch window down | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side one touch window down

I've got both of my front windows going down automatically, from either front door. I rounded up three more of the switch covers to have them labeled correctly. I'm okay with just the fronts with auto down, it does take some time to wire it up properly.

Attachments

• Projectthread108.JPG
    Projectthread108.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 802

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice install. i take it that all the switches on the passenger side work.

well i attempted this mod the other day with a stock module i got from the yard. needless to say things didnt go as planned. i followed the wiring instructions from the kit aldive used, as the wires were almost identical. wire it up, windows work as normal but no auto down from either door switch. tried the module from my drivers door, nothing. change position of the wires that splice into the motor and the window slowly goes down, and so did my module as it heated up and stopped working. so i put everything back together, put the panel back on, and went back inside depressed! lol

so.. any ideas on what i did wrong? or what went wrong? im open to any feedback, i really wanted this to work. i need to either get a new module from ford or try to find another one at the yard when i get a weekend off here soon.

Thats an awesome mod, the automatic feature on my 92 doesnt work anymore :(

take off your door panel, the module is attached with a small screw to the inside of the panel.. i never did try to see if fastpartsnetwork has them. i need to remember where i put the burnt module and try it.

I don't recall each wire or colors, but I think you have one main power, a ground, and the two which place the module in line for the one window motor wire you want to be automatic.

So you have to identify which of two wires on the window in question, which is the power for going down. That one wire is all you cut of the actual window wires. You have to tap into the main power and ground wires, which the red/blue is power, and a big black is ground. I see from the page 1 that there is a fifth wire, I don't recall making a "T" connection on my wiring.

from reading the instructions in the kit Al got, and looking at my drivers side window set up... there is a ground, blue/black wire from the switch, red/orange power wire, and a main red wire and white/black wire which on the factory module is yellow/red.

i had everything wired up like the instructions from the kit and still have nothing. i dont know what the problem is.. hopefully someones attempted this using a stock module on a first gen. although i dont see there being many differences from a 1st to 2nd gen.

I used my 93 Limited module in my 99 RF door. I just can't tell what each wire color was, the picture isn't very clear.

Attachments

• Projectthread069.JPG
    Projectthread069.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 683

see i used the same factory module.. with the same wires as yours. and for some reason i had nothing but trouble trying to get it to work. heck, i left the harness wired up, window worked fine, but the power lock wouldnt work, i had to unsplice the harness from the module and reconnect the wire for the window motor and then the lock worked again! idk.. but i dont want to let this beat me.

That sounds odd, the only wiring that you go into is for the window. The locks are separate. I had my OEM 93 wiring intact when I began. I learned by that how it worked, and just transferred it to my RF window.

It's a slick option, don't give up on it. If you have to, buy another one and use it on the LF for going up automatically. Once you figure it out, you can add it to any window.

i cut the tape on the drivers side harness and looked at how it was wired up, compared it to the notes from the aftermarket module in this thread, and thought i had everything wired up right. in fact im sure i did, idk why it didnt work. i still have the harness, i might mess with it again here in the next few days since the weather is spose to be tolerable. hmm.. wonder if anyone on here has a factory module, ill hafta look.

the door lock thing got me too.. i dont know how it happened, the window worked fine the entire time i was messing with it, lock must be a fluke. i wont give up.. im just getting frustrated.

Ok so I went and got a one touch at the yard today. Went to wire it up and noticed the wire colors are different on the one touch and on my X then was posted on here. No big deal i thought I will just match wire locations according to the pics. Well that didn't work. Window goes up and down no problem. But no one touch. Did i do something wrong. Is the one touch bad? Were the one for the drivers side so I can try it out.

Hunt for the How To threads on other sites, I don't think it's here. There are modules on different Fords, which use different wire colors. The module functions should be the same, but you do need to know which is which function. My 93 Limited module has different colors from the Taurus/Sable stuff, but I had a complete LF door to learn from.

The three other windows in the Explorer use red/blue as the power wire, that's your biggest wire to find in the truck. The two window wires are very easy to trace.

I pulled it myself off of another X a few years older then mine.

Ah, so it looks like mine above then? That was very rare before 1995, I think only the Limiteds had it, 93/94.

Okay here is the One Touch when I got it.
_DSC0096.jpg

Here is the passenger side switch on my Sport
_DSC0095.jpg

And here it is all wired up.
_DSC0115.jpg

But it doesn't work. I know the wire I cut is for the window down since the window wouldn't go down after I cut it. When the key is on I have 12v between ground and the Blue/Black wire and when I am pushing the down button I have 12v between ground and the Yellow/Red wire. When the One Touch is unpluged the window wont go down when it is pluged in it goes down like normal. Any Ideas could the Blue/black wire and the yellow/red be backwards?

I'd need to look at the wiring for a door switch, but I think the wires are on opposite corners to the switch. Meaning the two window motor wires go to two corners, and the other two are going back to the main switch wiring as grounds.

The switches all do two things, one pair of contacts is made, and one wire(window motor) is cut out of the circuit. All wires except the power wires test as ground when no switches are pressed. The switches apply power to one motor wire, and remove the connection to that wire from the other direction through the switch.

From those pictures it looks like you didn't cut the yellow/red wire, you just spliced to it. You cut the yellow/white wire.

The module is made to control one direction of the motor, and that wire is cut and connected to two wires from the module. It sounds like the yellow/red wire is what needs to be cut.

Go back in and carefully follow the motor wires up to the switch. Identify which two they are. One gets cut and the other is just tapped onto by a module wire. If you got those two wires reversed, it should go up automatically. Have you tried to just tap the up button?

Yea i have tried just taping it and it goes for a sec and stops. I know the white/yellow wire i cut controls part of the wiring for window down cus the window wouldnt go down when it was cut but would go up. I went back to the yard to day and found the x i got it off of it was a 93 2 door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what color are your two right window motor wires? Those are the only hard ones to deal with, the power wire and ground are easy.

Back