• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Windshield wiper broken

batman89

Reaction score
City, State
Van Buren, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 X Limited/NAV
Fall 2013 had experience of the passenger windshield wiper would not work after the wiper stuck to the windshield due to ice. Took the Explorer to the dealer to repair. Dealer informed me that the arm under the cowling came loose and they hooked the arm back up.

Has been fine until this week, 2/2014. Windshield wiper stuck to glass due to freezing rain and arm came loose again.

The first repair was done when vehicle was under warranty. Now the vehicle is out of warranty.

Questions:

Is this a new problem with the 2011 and up Explorers?

Since the dealer did the first repair (no parts ordered) should they repair it since their first band-aid fix did not work?

How hard is it for a DIY to get to the arm to hook the arm back up?

What parts may be needed to fix the issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fall 2013 had experience of the passenger windshield wiper would not work after the wiper stuck to the windshield due to ice. Took the Explorer to the dealer to repair. Dealer informed me that the arm under the cowling came loose and they hooked the arm back up.

Has been fine until this week, 2/2014. Windshield wiper stuck to glass due to freezing rain and arm came loose again.

The first repair was done when vehicle was under warranty. Now the vehicle is out of warranty.

Questions:

Since the dealer did the first repair (no parts ordered) should they repair it since their first band-aid fix did not work?

This is not a documented problem with the new gen Explorer. I would expect that since your wiper worked between incidents that it was not a 'band-aid' fix. If all that happened was that the control arm popped out of place, I'm guessing that likely they just popped it back in and since parts were required. I doubt this would be covered just because it was a prior repair. I don't know about getting at the area for a DIY fix but an easy solution in the future would be to ensure the wipers are not frozen to the windshield before turning them on.

Peter

Not a known issue. This is the first I've seen it.

Running the wipers when they are frozen in place is not something usually covered by warranty because it's not a manufacturing defect. I guess the difference might be if you switched them on for a moment and one broke loose, could be a loose clip or something.

No idea on what it takes to reattach.

Questions:

Common sense suggests that you ensure that the wipers are not frozen to the windshield prior to turning them on as Peter suggests. No one to blame here but the person who doesn't pay attention to the condition of the windshield/wipers...

Open your hood and find the end of the wiper arm. There will be a plastic cover that sits on a nut. Pull it straight up and you'll expose the nut that secures the wiper arm to the motor. A 15mm socket will be used to turn the nut holding the arm once it is aligned to the resting position. Tighten it down and you are back in business.

This little bit of slippage allows the motor to keep from "burning out" if the arm doesn't move.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 377

Found the problem. The arm from the motor to the wiper on the passenger side had came off the ball on the motor pivot arm. Removed the screws holding the cowering, raised it up enough to get my hands inside. Put the arm coupling back on the ball and a little help with a bar and hammer was able to snap it back on. Noticed there was a lot of grease on the pivot arm ball and don't know if it was from the factory or the dealer when they fixed it the first time. How long it last who knows. Looked up the parts for repairs and I will have to buy the whole assembly #17566 just to get the cap that snaps onto the ball . I hope to find an after market vendor that just sell the cap or a quick fix that prevent the cap from coming off the ball.

Haved owned many Fords cars, trucks, Broncos, SUV and vans since 1972 and this is the first time I have seen this problem when the wipers were frozen to the glass.

The first time it happened on my current Explorer was due to heavy snow and the fact that the wiper were not turned off before turning off the vehicle. The second time my wife did'nt think to check the wipers and they were frozen to the glass.

Hope this will help others.

Whenever it snows, you should always pull your wiper blade off the windshield to avoid it icing up and sticking to the windshield. It's standard practice by many people when it snows. Even if you leave it on the windshield, you should properly de-ice the vehicle before you turn on the wipers.

Back