wiper mechanism | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wiper mechanism

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
I had a windshield replaced and during the process the wiper arms under the plastic cowling were broken. I did not find it until a day or two later when I turned the wipers on and they worked but clunked loudly. Went back to Safelite and the Manager knew exactly what happened, said it's not unusual for this to happen on 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorers. On the end of one the arms (passenger side) there is a very small thin piece of crappy (looks like pot metal ) metal that has zero reinforcement and secures one end of the mechanisims. On the other end the bracket is more substantial. He said they have broken that bracket by merely push the wiper arm back on the stud. Did a search here and did not find any posts but considering the local Ford dealer had it in stock makes me think it does happen. If you look at the image for the part from Rock Auto (not FoMoCo) on the left side the bracket with the clip is solid. The FoMoCo part has two tabs with the center section of the bracket open so there are just two tabs that are attached to the stud. He said it never breaks on the drivers side. Wish he could have used this Dorman but Safelite requires the use of OEM parts.

wiper.jpg

Back