• Register Today It's free!

Windshield & wipers

larrymcj

Reaction score
City, State
East Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 White Limited
When I took delivery on my 2011 Explorer there was a scratch on the windshield, so they replaced it with a genuine SoundScreen windshield, exactly like the damaged one.

Since then, I have two problems, both which the dealership can't fix and both on which they've given up. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced either, and do I have any recourse.

Problem 1: air noise (whistling sound) which was NOT there with the original windshield. They've checked everything they say could possibly cause it, and while they admit it's there...they can't find or fix it.

Problem 2: the windshield wipers worked fine on the original windshield, but on the replacement windshield they hop and skip all the time. They replaced them twice free...and I paid for two other replacements while on a trip, and they still skip. The current ones are the new replacements that are all plastic (though still a genuine FoMoCo part) and they work a little better, but even they skip when driving over 60 MPH. I'm considering an after market wiper for this (maybe the RainX wipers)...any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

When I took delivery on my 2011 Explorer there was a scratch on the windshield, so they replaced it with a genuine SoundScreen windshield, exactly like the damaged one.

Since then, I have two problems, both which the dealership can't fix and both on which they've given up. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced either, and do I have any recourse.

Problem 1: air noise (whistling sound) which was NOT there with the original windshield. They've checked everything they say could possibly cause it, and while they admit it's there...they can't find or fix it.

Problem 2: the windshield wipers worked fine on the original windshield, but on the replacement windshield they hop and skip all the time. They replaced them twice free...and I paid for two other replacements while on a trip, and they still skip. The current ones are the new replacements that are all plastic (though still a genuine FoMoCo part) and they work a little better, but even they skip when driving over 60 MPH. I'm considering an after market wiper for this (maybe the RainX wipers)...any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the Forum larrymcj. :wavey:

As for #1, I wonder if this could be the infamous 'A' pillar problem? It seems to me that some time ago a member posted something about a problem after replacing the windshield. Looks like a forum 'search' on that may be in order. Just go to the top right of this page and there will be several options available including 'search'. I typed in 'windshield' and came up with many threads that talk about the issues and various fixes. Perhaps yours wasn't properly sealed.

Reference #2, I wonder if there is an adjustment required in the wiper arm itself to exert more pressure on the blade? The wiper arms don't seem to adjustable. On older vehicles you could just bend the arm a bit but not on the Explorer. The manual doesn't recommend using a product such as RainX on your windshield so I'm not sure if using their wiper is good or not. Seeing as how you have gone through a few different ones, I strongly suspect it isn't the wiper blade that is your problem.

Peter

@peterk9: I asked the dealership about any way to adjust the wiper arm pressure and was told it's fixed. I know Ford doesn't want RainX (the liquid product) on their SoundScreen windshields, but RainX has a couple of high-end wiper blades that will fit and that's what I'm thinking about installing.

I'll search the forum for the pillar noise problem you mentioned. Thanks!

Back